UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unable To Open Or Create Dbs After Windows Update, Access 2016    

peterac
post Jan 16 2020, 03:05 PM
Post#1

The following Windows Updates were performed today:

January 14, 2020-KB4532938 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 and Windows Server 1903 RTM and Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows Server, version 1909
January 14, 2020—KB4528760 (OS Builds 18362.592 and 18363.592)
Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4528759)

A database was open when the updates took place.

Following the update I receive the following error message when attempting to open any existing database:

Cannot open database 'C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw' It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

The same message when trying to create a new database then after clicking ok on the error message the following:

A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control.
Close the OLE server and restart it outside Microsoft Access. Then try the original operation again in Microsoft Access.

My first thoughts are to uninstall the updates but I would appreciate any suggestions/guidance.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jan 16 2020, 03:06 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi. Just curious, are you using MDB files?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

peterac
post Jan 16 2020, 03:18 PM
Post#3

Hi, Yes - most of the databases were created many years ago and are only used by me.
This post has been edited by peterac: Jan 16 2020, 03:24 PM

theDBguy
post Jan 16 2020, 03:20 PM
Post#4

UA Moderator

Hi. Thanks. Still wondering... Are there any plans/thoughts about upgrading the files to ACCDBs?

With regards to your original question about the effects of a recent Windows update(s), I'll check around and see if I can find anything on them.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

peterac
post Jan 16 2020, 03:40 PM
Post#5

Didn't have any plans to upgrade the files to ACCDBs - Should I?
Most of the databases are only for my use and are run locally.
Thanks for looking into the updates.

peterac
post Jan 16 2020, 04:10 PM
Post#6

I have just copied the database files to an old PC running Windows 7 and have managed to open and run the database without problems on that PC.
Which would suggest that the problem is not with corruption of the databases but with the installation of MS Access on the Windows 10 machine following the Windows updates.
I have run the MS Office Repair utility but that has not helped.
Perhaps a reinstall of Access is required?

NeilT123
post Jan 17 2020, 07:41 AM
Post#7

I have both of those updates installed and my DB seems fine, touch wood.

peterac
post Jan 18 2020, 01:24 AM
Post#8

Pleased to report I appear to have rectified the problem (more by luck than judgement).

Having tried uninstalling the Windows Updates, uninstalling/reinstalling MS Access and searching the Registry for Access references - none of which helped I was contemplating a reinstall of the os.

As a last resort I returned to the error message Cannot open database 'C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw'.

I renamed the System.mdw file to SystemOLD.mdw then ran Access again. I was able to create a new database and opened existing databases without any problems.

A new System.mdw had been created when running Access.

Presumably the original System.mdw file was corrupted because Access was open when the Windows Updates were performed.

I was unaware of the System.mdw file (Microsoft Access Workgroup Information) but hopefully this may help someone else if they have similar problems.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th February 2020 - 06:04 PM