UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disconnecting Rdp Session Stops Access App, Any Versions    

Interlektual
post Oct 23 2019, 12:22 PM
Post#1

I have an Access application that pulls data out of an accounting system (Quickbooks), processes and transforms it then inserts it into a SQL Server database.
This app runs 24/7 on a Windows 10 virtual machine (VMWare) which is controlled by a remote desktop connection. The app is started by connecting in using RDP, logging on, starting the app then disconnecting the RDP session to leave it running 'headless'.

This has been working for over a year but has, in the last week or two, developed an issue. When you disconnect the RDP session the app freezes, and seamlessly resumes when you reconnect. I know this is happening as the app generates an event log which has gaps in it corresponding to the time the VM/RDP is disconnected.

Has there been a Windows update which has changed the behaviour of disconnected RDP sessions? There have not been any changes to the VM or the app other than usual Windows Updates.

Bit stumped, any help, ideas appreciated !
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Nov 21 2019, 06:00 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I don't have an answer for you, but can confirm I have seen several other people report the exact same issue in various forums. It would be a good guess that this is somehow related to an update. You would need to review you computer logs to see what has recently been installed and then try uninstalling them one by one until you locate the culprit.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

payfast8898
post Nov 21 2019, 05:13 PM
Post#3

you might try a app called alwaysup we have used it in the past to keep a ms access application open and running in the back ground even if you are logged off. Win 10 have been changing alot of the coding for the rdp because they want to start selling license to use it like server software can so many people using patches to do multiple log ins and they are not making any money off of it. anyways that is what we have used in the past seems to work very well

--------------------
"When a collection of Brilliant minds, hearts and talents come together...
Expect a masterpiece"

AlbertKallal
post Nov 21 2019, 07:02 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Is this a VM on Terminal Services, or are you just remoteing into the VM?

If its terminal server, then there i a good number of settings:

You can set this on the host server (if using terminal services).

Open gpedit.msc

Browse to Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Remote Desktop Services --> Remote Desktop Session Host --> Session Time Limits.

Enable the "Set time limit for disconnected sessions" and set it to Never

I don't know if the above will fix, or work if you are NOT using terminal services, but it worth a look at.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

PhilS
post Nov 22 2019, 05:03 AM
Post#5

When you disconnect the RDP session the app freezes, and seamlessly resumes when you reconnect.

This seems to be related to the May-2019 Windows 10 updates.

A workaround is to use the XDDM instead of WDDM display driver model. - Using these keywords on Google should get more detailed instructions.

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    5th December 2019 - 07:18 PM