UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good Bad Example Wanted, Access 2016    

nuclear_nick
post Nov 26 2019, 06:45 AM
Post#21

Just keeping an eye on the thread... since I am the OP... smile.gif

I'm going with (almost done with) putting the data into a skinny table, and an unbound form with programming (queries and a temp table) that takes the skinny table and makes it wide for the data entry request, then when the record changes or form closed, take the changes and update the skinny table.

Fun with Databases!

reading.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2019, 07:21 AM
Post#22

Attaboy thumbup.gif you made the right decision, kept things simple, flexible and your customer will be happy because they get to VIEW the data the way they want to see it while you get to store it the way it should be stored.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

nuclear_nick
post Nov 26 2019, 08:15 AM
Post#23

I'm just having trouble with the SQL to move the records from the 'skinny table' to the temp table... The rules are that the form is only allowing three entries, so if the 'skinny table' only has one or two... or all three...

This is probably all going into another thread, if I get desperate.

Thank you all for the great discussion and ideas!

uarulez2.gif hat_tip.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

projecttoday
post Nov 26 2019, 08:18 AM
Post#24

UtterAccess VIP

You're welcome.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2019, 08:36 AM
Post#25

Nick,

You keep referring to a 'skinny table' in singular fashion and I'm hoping you have several skinny tables, one of them being a detail/child table that holds the entries that are joined to the parent table. So since your wide form only allows users to add up to three entries, you are going to have separate queries, one of them for populating the one, two or three entries into your temp table that has fields entry1, entry2 and entry3 which then gets displayed on the form. The temp table is in essence a VIEW made up of multiple fields belonging to the different tables in your normalized design.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 26 2019, 09:10 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

nuclear_nick
post Nov 26 2019, 09:25 AM
Post#26

I do. I (mostly) designed the system. From this thread I think you can get an idea of how I design, and how I utilize 'skinny tables' versus 'wide tables'. (The terms come from several threads here at UA over the years... smile.gif )

As I alluded to in the thread mentioned above, here's how it's the same... In this case, I created the 'skinny table' to allow for one... two... even a hundred... 'exceptions' to be entered. The request is to currently only allow three, and have those three 'exceptions' be displayed next to the 'main table', so in, what I called, the 'wide format'.

It's a challenge, and I don't think it impossible. I've just been doing a lot of 'throwing against the wall and see what sticks'... smile.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2019 - 04:58 PM