UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fondly Remembered Members' Posts And Topics.    

Jaiket
post Apr 8 2019, 10:33 AM
Post#1

Hi,
UA has lost some good people recently.

On their profiles, their posts and topics are no longer available, although the posts are still on the forums. This may be UAs chosen way of honouring them, but I feel that leaving access to their posts and topics would be a way of celebrating them.

The "send message" button is still available. I can see that might not be easy to solve.

I guess 'Visit my website' will in most cases quickly become obsolete, which is a sad reflection on how much the internet cares about high quality content by respectful authors.

Indeed, the sites linked for both Dennis Kuhn and Glenn Lloyd are now unavailable.

I never knew Dennis was a musician. Anyone got any recordings?

--------------------
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
Go to the top of the page

Jaiket
post Apr 8 2019, 07:46 PM
Post#2

I just re-read this post, and it seems rather heartless, which is the opposite of what I meant. I overedited it and took out the love.

I don't post on any forums, except this one, because I feel safe here. That is a reflection on the humanity of everyone here, past and present. Previously I just searched for "Allen Browne" and added my VBA question. His knowledge is spread far and wide across the internet. There are many others, and some don't come here.

I think that some coders are so good at sharing that their knowledge generosity should be made eternally available, and respect for them should not fade.
There are different ways of expressing things. Sometimes one expert can make me understand easily, while another doesn't quite make sense to me, but will be clear as daylight to a different learner

I am a bit of a dreamer, but I sincerely think there should be a site where one can go and look up all the posts by the best sharers in the world, by their name. This is kind of the case here, but some excellent coders have been banned, because they could get heated about things. And I find it dreadful to see how quickly someone's life's work disappears because no-one takes care of it when the tide comes to sweep them away.

I am willing to put time into a site like that, if anyone else is interested. I really appreciated Dennis, and I was gutted to see that after 27 years of gigging the Internet has not a trace of his music, and his Access site is down.

Some people are too good to let them fade away without at least trying..
This post has been edited by Jaiket: Apr 8 2019, 07:48 PM

--------------------

ghubbell
post Apr 8 2019, 08:20 PM
Post#3

UA Administrator

Hi,
Hmm. If their topics or posts are not showing via their profiles, it's probably just a bug, sorry.

Just do a search by Username. Doctor9 (Dennis) or argeedblu (Glenn). You will get results - matter of fact for both, you'll top out the query at 1000 if you leave the keyword field blank.

Their work will remain here always and that's an absolute promise, without question.

As for recordings from Dennis: there has to be some. I do recall some discussions, perhaps privately, in which Dennis described some of his 'work' at length, and he sure seemed to enjoy it. I'll poke around a bit and as you could as well out there in web-land, and also if anyone else reading this can point us in a worthy direction, that would be great.

Gord cheers.gif

ghubbell
post Apr 8 2019, 08:32 PM
Post#4

UA Administrator

Here you go regarding Dennis - it's a start at least.

Gord cheers.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Journeymen_Cruise_Control_article.pdf ( 727.66K )Number of downloads: 12

Jaiket
post Apr 8 2019, 08:59 PM
Post#5

Thanks Gord,

Facebook still has his page, but he didn't publish any music there. There's some really nice photos though. You don't see peoples faces here..
Otherwise - I had a good scout, but nothing.

Did you know he played in a couple of Doctor Who episodes? Quite an accomplished actor it appears.

--------------------

Jaiket
post Apr 10 2019, 02:15 PM
Post#6

I ordered a couple of CDs of the Journeymen from Dennis' partner Tom.
I had one sent to GPG so you guys can pass it around. I hope I'm not mistaken in thinking you do meet up occasionally.

If anyone wants to order their own copy, Tom's email is on his site, 'Tom Conrad Rocks'.
This post has been edited by Jaiket: Apr 10 2019, 02:58 PM

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st August 2019 - 10:49 AM