UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bitlocker / Data Encryption, Access 2013    

austin3515
post Nov 28 2018, 09:59 PM
Post#1

I just bought a new thinkpad laptopn with a TPM 2.0 chip inside. My question is this. If my laptop is stolen while it is in sleep mode, is it still fully encrypted? I have read a lot of articles, and some suggest that the encryption keys are stored in RAM unencrypted during sleep.

I sometimes remote into the computer at the office, so I need it to be sleeping so I can remote into it and wake it up with a magic packet.

Because the thing runs on battery it takes on more importance than a regular desktop. Am I over-thinking this? Also, will adding the need for a separate PIN to unlock address this concern if the concern is valid.

I cannot find a nice simple explanation of all of this stuff anywhere. Much obliged if you can answer my quesitons or even better point me to some microsoft article...
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Nov 29 2018, 12:05 AM
Post#2

I just bought a new thinkpad laptopn with a TPM 2.0 chip inside. My question is this. If my laptop is stolen while it is in sleep mode, is it still fully encrypted? I have read a lot of articles, and some suggest that the encryption keys are stored in RAM unencrypted during sleep.

So get into the habit of logging out if you're going to be away from the laptop. You can set your ScreenSaver's "On resume, display logon screen". There's some seetings you can tweak in group policy (run gpedit.msc), like autologout after X idle time, encrypt contents of pagefile.sys, hibernate.sys, etc. Bitlocker protects if someone steals your laptop, removes the hardisk to read your data, tries to boot from a usb device, but it does not protect while you're logged in. Also use a strong 10+ character password.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 29 2018, 12:07 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting many Pawnshops that use my Management System with Access 2010 on Windows7. Ham Radio addict since 1978.
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2018 - 10:23 AM