UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Actions Not Working Anywhere With Any Archived Or Current Db After Removal And New Installinstall, Access 2016    

gint32
post Mar 30 2019, 11:53 PM
Post#1

Has anyone had an issue with Access and no events working on any DB, Access opens the db but when I click any button , nothing happens I have reinstalled and installed and the same happens with known working DB,,,thanks from a very frustrated user.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 30 2019, 11:57 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

We need more details.

For example, what does it mean to say " ... no events working on any DB ..."? Are you saying your VBA or macros don't run?

Assuming that is the situation, we could explore things like Trusted Locations and whether you have enabled macros. Also, did you check references for any that might be missing?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

gint32
post Mar 31 2019, 02:24 AM
Post#3

yeh, no events off a button or within the code, F8 does nothing with no warnings or help or messages and lastly all references are good and none are broken

Many Thanks for your advice, Turns out right enough, All Macros were disabled and there was no warning message either advising me of this like there normally is when opening any of my *.accdb.

I am not sure if this is possible to do , maybe theirs a piece of VBA code running that flicked the switch off (though don't know if this can be done programmatically ), a while back I was playing with securities to try and lock the front end ofaccess up a little from prying eyes. anyone know of how apart from manually doing this.?

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 31 2019, 07:17 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Okay, so if the idea behind Macro Security is that it would prevent malicious code from running on your computer, would it be wise to allow code--malicious or not--to turn it back on?

The whole issue of security in MS Access has a long history, I'm afraid. Ultimately, you can't completely "lock" the front end, and it is probably more important to protect your data anyway. That said, there are things you can do to minimize exposure to risk.

One is to compile your accdb into an accde for deployment to users. That definitely will keep all but the most knowledgeable people from seeing your code. You can also do things like adding a password to the accdb FE. Others will be able to contribute more insights, but IMO, if you are worried about someone getting to your code or other objects, MS Access might not be the right choice.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

isladogs
post Mar 31 2019, 07:42 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Agree completely with George's comments.
I've written an extended 2 part article on my website which may help Improve security in Access databases
The second part includes a detailed guide to each of the methods available together with an example app and all necessary code.
But to repeat George's comment. No Access database can ever be made 100% secure. What you can do is make it so difficult to hack that it isn't normally worth the effort

Sorry. Duplicate post
This post has been edited by isladogs: Mar 31 2019, 07:42 AM

--------------------

gint32
post Apr 4 2019, 08:50 PM
Post#6

Thanks, I had a look at this before(your web site) and I must say all of your suggestions are great and have helped me, but your sample zips/tests to break into are way to hard for my small mind, though would be great to know how you did some of it.
One of which I am guessing ...you somehow write to the applications own system tables, but how you do this is beyond me. Also, the only way I learn (and this is just me), is to look at what you've done and step through then I normally get it..thanks

isladogs
post Apr 5 2019, 02:29 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Hi gint
There's no 'trickery' involved in the security article I linked.
Are you referring to my security challenges in the latter part of your answer?
Nothing wrong with picking apart code you did online. I do it all the time and its how I learn new things … sometimes accidentally.

--------------------

gint32
post Apr 11 2019, 03:09 PM
Post#8

Yeh. Thanks.I was refering to the challenges..best i can do is hex editor on the db..for passwords.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th July 2019 - 04:19 PM