UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Job Forums    

access2009eg
post Aug 17 2019, 03:57 PM
Post#1

Friends

my suggestion
Why No forums for jobs

for example, if any user wants to hire one from our group or have a job or something like that

Thank you

--------------------
I would like to Thank you for your help
Go to the top of the page

jleach
post Aug 17 2019, 05:02 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

We used to have one, but some years back we had a few issues with people using the site as more of an advertising venue then a discussion board, and the jobs board was closed in an effort to curb that behavior.

It has been quite a while though, and the dynamics of the forum and tend to cycle over time... I'll bring it up to the admin team just to dust off the question, but no promises.

Cheers,

--------------------

projecttoday
post Aug 17 2019, 08:13 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I'm curious - why the jobs forum? Don't you get the occasional unwanted post in the other forums?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

tina t
post Aug 17 2019, 08:42 PM
Post#4

hello Jack, and everyone, i'd like to share a thought or two on the subject, if that's okay. i think UA has an excellent reputation for offering free, knowledgeable help to all comers. and anyone is welcome to post to any forum, asking and/or answering any question. and i'm a little concerned that folks who would post a position in a Jobs forum at UA might tend to think that whoever answers their job posting must be good, because they came from the UA site.

i'm not thinking that UA would have any exposure to liability if an employer was unhappy with the result of their job posting. but i don't like to think of UA getting any kind of bad "press", even if just among people who didn't understand that UA was not endorsing any individual developer or his/her abilities, just because the person responded to a job posting here.

there are lots of websites out there for people to post job openings and/or jobs they want to get. my opinion is let those sites do their thing, and we'll do ours.

as DBguy says, just my 2 cents worth! :)
tina
This post has been edited by tina t: Aug 17 2019, 08:46 PM

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 18 2019, 12:32 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

I'd say that tina is pretty close to the mark.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

jleach
post Sep 4 2019, 11:54 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

From a different perspective, I think there's a lot of merit to having a jobs board here instead of elsewhere.

While true that there are sites/services that specialize in matching projects to freelancers, most of these places are inundated with people outside of the realm of Access, and then even with the Access-specific freelancers, it's very difficult to know what you're getting (I've been trying to hire Access people on and off for years: it's not easy).

Here, as part of our close-knit community, on both sides of the coin people are much more apt to know what they're getting and who they'll be working with.

I've always been a big fan of local small business, though it's been difficult to maintain those relationships as much as I'd like doing development because so much of the industry is remote. In any case, there's a few major advantages to working local:

- you tend to know the people you are working with much better
- you tend to get more engaged with people, more personal, which tends make working relationships much more effective and pleasurable
- people generally are more conscious of their reputation

I could go on, but the idea is there.

Having a jobs board here instead of trying to do it elsewhere is very much akin to working locally with small business, I think: a number of distinct advantages.

(tossing my 2cents into the pot)

Cheers,

--------------------

freespiritcheris...
post Sep 26 2019, 07:26 PM
Post#7

I agree totally jLeach! thumbup.gif

FrankRuperto
post Oct 23 2019, 09:05 AM
Post#8

I think job postings in UA occur in a discrete suttle way. Members post their problems, needs, etc. and anyone can contact the OP via private messages for potential work.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

isladogs
post Oct 23 2019, 09:11 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

I partly agree with Frank though in my opinion the approach normally comes (and should come) from the OP where they want additional support from a specific member.
I have never offered my services by making the first contact

EDIT on a side issue this post created 7 copies of itself, the rest of which I've now deleted. Though I've experienced multiple postings before when on a wireless connection, that is a record, at least for me.

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

FrankRuperto
post Oct 23 2019, 09:27 AM
Post#10

Yeah I received 8 UA emails about your reply lol.
As to posting jobs in UA, I dont see any harm in posting in the General Chat forum something like "I need someone to work on this project, please PM me to further discuss..."
You can also approach any member via PM without posting in any forum.

(my two cents)

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th November 2019 - 11:13 AM