UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Confirmation For Delete Object Has Disappeared, Access 2007    

Ron50
post Oct 29 2019, 06:20 AM
Post#1

Just recently I have noticed that when I click to delete an object (for instance, a query) from the Navigation Pane, that it is deleted immediately, without asking me to confirm the delete request. As anyone will know this is of course very unsafe behavior of the interface, so I want to make sure that Access (2007) will always ask me to confirm before deleting any object from the Navigation Pane.

On the Microsoft Support site there is an article that says how to "Turn off object deletion confirmation messages" in the Navigation Pane. It says that I should go to the Access Options dialog box and click Client Settings. Unfortunately, however, there is no Client Settings item in the Access Options dialog box. So now I am at a loss how to turn back on object deletion confirmation messages. I also haven't got the faintest idea how this setting has been set to skip the confirmation question.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

###
Edit:
###

I have just noticed that the objects that I assumed were deleted were in fact not deleted but instead moved to an Unassigned Objects group. MS Access keeps surprising me! Now when I click an object to delete it I am indeed asked if I am sure to delete the object. So that is as it should be. I'm actually quite happy with this unexpected behavior of MS Access, for in this way I can create a separate pool of objects that I want to get rid of before actually really deleting them. And because they have been separated from the objects that I want to keep they will no longer distract.

So I think I've kind of solved the problem myself.

Ron50
This post has been edited by Ron50: Oct 29 2019, 07:09 AM
Go to the top of the page

jleach
post Oct 29 2019, 07:00 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Administrator

Hi, I'm not 100% sure this works for the nav pane, but try running:

DoCmd.SetWarnings True

... from the immediate window and see if that helps.

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

Phil_cattivocara...
post Oct 29 2019, 07:01 AM
Post#3

I do not have Access 2007 and I cannot confirm the right sequence, try this: Access Options - Advanced - Confirm and flag "Document deletion"

(I have found images here: Disable Access Prompt when a record is changed, table deleted, or action queries run )

--------------------
Please forgive in advance my horrible English.

Ron50
post Oct 29 2019, 07:14 AM
Post#4

Hi Jack, Phil,

Thank you for your quick reply. I think I've solved the problem myself while you were writing your answer. Just take a look at the edit in my original post. In my opinion it is no longer a real problem. The way MS Access works keeps surprising me.

Greetings,

Ron50
This post has been edited by Ron50: Oct 29 2019, 07:14 AM

Ron50
post Oct 30 2019, 03:30 AM
Post#5

Just another update to my original/edited post.

I've noticed that, unfortunately, the Unassigned Objects groups implicates some very undesirable side-effects. On the one hand, it was really helpful to have a group where I could send objects that I intended to delete before finally deleting them for good. That way the Unassigned Objects group would function like the Trash Bin in Windows. But just now I have also noticed that every new object that is being created in the database is also sent to this Unassigned Objects group. This is of course very unhelpful, because now new and valuable objects are being intermingled with discarded ones, which is something that probably nobody would ever feel the necessity for. Fortunately, as time has passed, Microsoft seems to have understood as well that having an Unassigned Objects group in your database may not be such a great idea after all, in hindsight of course. On the Microsoft Forum page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffic...bcbb1305?auth=1 there was an answer from Microsoft MVP Daniel Pineault on how to revert to the more familiar groupings in the Navigation Pane, without acknowledging, however, how unhelpful the introduction of the Unassigned Objects group actually is, in hindsight of course. But that is probably a matter of loyalty. It suffices to click the drop-down arrow in the navigation pane next to the word Custom and select Object Type to return to the normal world again. All the objects that I had assumed to have deleted but instead had been moved there were of course also moved back. Now I can start thinning out my queries one more time sad.gif . The way MS Access works keeps surprising me...

isladogs
post Oct 30 2019, 04:57 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

I rarely use object groups as their behaviour can indeed be unpredictable
However if you want to use them, why not create a custom group 'Objects for deletion' and drag selected objects to that group

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

Ron50
post Nov 8 2019, 05:03 AM
Post#7

You're absolutely right, isladogs. Why didn't I think of that before?

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    9th December 2019 - 10:59 AM