UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Create A Form To Look Like An A4 Sheet Of Headed Paper, Access 2013    

gint32
post Dec 21 2018, 01:59 AM
Post#1

I am looking for a way and wondering if its possible to create an Access form but have it appear to look like an A4 Sheet of headed paper, I am attempting to get users to move away from there existing paper-based way of working, Current;y our company employees fills in a paper-carbon form and then these then eventually ends up being transferred into our access database, by our clerks who retype the written data (data-input) from the carbon form, its a statement of the obvious I know- but hey its "A Double up" and waste of resources, a few years ago, I created a MS Word Form that mimicked the paper form and with a click of a button the data got imported directly into the Access database, but this was met by hesitancy, and therefore was never utilized, due to people not being technically minded(I know sounds crazy in this day and age doesn't it).

Any way, I have finally convinced the "Powers that be" that I can provide a link on the local internet and from there they can log into the database directly.

So now, I wish to have them fill in the data directly via a form, but I don't want to scare them off as i havn't created it as yet, I wish to have the form appear to look the same as the carbon paper form. This is all the user will be able to do within the Database, they will not be able to view or see or open any other forms or have access to any other data..so just basically open up the database fill in the form and then exit that's it.

So its needs to be simple and I think appear to look like what they are accustomed to. pre-MS Access

So any suggestion or links are much appreciated, or even better yet is it possible and maybe a better idea to just open up the (redundant ) already created MS Word based form and then close as soon as the required data is entered and sum-how pre-check and import(though this sounds like much more work coding wise). or attack this from creating a similar report based way

Whats your thought gurus?

Thanks for reading
This post has been edited by gint32: Dec 21 2018, 02:02 AM
Go to the top of the page

JonSmith
post Dec 21 2018, 04:02 AM
Post#2

So I think its a bad idea to try and mimic paper based processes exactly. Its a different medium and should be handled differently.
Its the same principle as a newspaper works but the same format electronically doesn't and news sites have had to adapt and change not only layout but even content as people consume the information very differently.

The paper form likely has annoyances and limitations due to it being paper. Don't drag them along with you, just make a clean form designed for the process and not the piece of paper. You might get pushback but a well designed form will get much better adoption then an electronic copy of a paper form that might not work so well.

projecttoday
post Dec 21 2018, 05:38 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

employees fills in a paper-carbon form

Do they hand-write or type on this form?

I created a MS Word Form that mimicked the paper form and with a click of a button the data got imported directly into the Access database

It sounds like you've already done it.

I have finally convinced the "Powers that be" that I can provide a link on the local internet and from there they can log into the database directly

If you mean a regular Access database, you would send each and every user a copy of the front-end database. Does your company have a LAN?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

gint32
post Dec 21 2018, 08:03 AM
Post#4

yeh ...hand writen which has its own problems with deciphering.

Ms Word import.... yeh, but met with not a lot of enthusiasm.

Yes. Company does have a LAN.

Thanks for your advice!

gint32
post Dec 21 2018, 08:04 AM
Post#5

Noted and thanks for your input
This post has been edited by gint32: Dec 21 2018, 08:05 AM

gint32
post Dec 21 2018, 08:08 AM
Post#6

So based on the feed back, I am thinking of copying the existing form that the data entry clerks use and just hiding the fields that are not required! with a little bit of tidy up
This post has been edited by gint32: Dec 21 2018, 08:08 AM

projecttoday
post Dec 21 2018, 09:32 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Glad you have found a solution.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

projecttoday
post Dec 21 2018, 09:32 AM