UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
> Fox Pro Developer Files, Any Versions    

River59
post Oct 20 2018, 11:33 AM
Post#1

I am at my wits end here. I was asked to 'convert' a FoxPro database into MS Access. The problem is that I have no idea how to get to the 'developer/backend code' files. What should I look for?
We have imported the tables and can see screens, but have no idea of the logic or coding that goes into them.

Please, I am begging!

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...
Go to the top of the page

Start new topic
Replies
nvogel
post Oct 21 2018, 09:16 AM
Post#2

If you just want the data and not any screens or reports then look for DBF files.

You can import DBF files directly into an Access database. Click New Data Source > From Database > dBase File and browse to the DBF file(s) you want to import. Selecting the dBase IV option should be compatible with most (possibly not all) FoxPro files. One DBF file corresponds to a table in Access terms so there may be multiple files associated with your FoxPro application.

River59
post Oct 21 2018, 10:11 AM
Post#3

I have imported most of the tables. I have seen screenshots of some of the forms. Under normal circumstances I would be prepared to just re-build the application but when I was brought in for this job, the manager said it was a simple 'conversion' and he knew enough about FoxPro to get me what I needed from the program. Come to find out, he knows nothing.

Last week he said he estimated the job to be about 100 hrs of work .... hahaha. We are talking months to build this invoicing application. He then proceeded to invalidate my background (about 22 years) in the program because I spend 40 hours building an application to 'clean' the files.

I was just hoping to see the logic and code that was used in FoxPro to see if I could short cut some of the work and brain power. I am ready to walk out on this insanity if he isn't willing to accept that this is a lot of work and going to take some time.

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

DanielPineault
post Oct 21 2018, 10:15 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

From what I know, it's a complete start over from scratch. You can extract the tables/data, but that's about it.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

River59
post Oct 21 2018, 10:27 AM
Post#5

That is what I thought, Daniel. I did open a couple small code files (one specific query) and can see that the code would need re-writing. I just can't find any of the 'big' functions anywhere to see what tables were temporarily built to create the forms.

It is going to be a complete start over and he needs to understand that or continue to use the FoxPro application.

Thanks!

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Oct 21 2018, 10:36 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Good luck.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

River59
post Oct 21 2018, 10:41 AM
Post#7

I'm just curious about all the companies on the web who claim to be able to 'convert' a FoxPro database into an Access database. This has him convinced it is an easy task and made me believe that it was possible if I could just find the secret decoder ring. And yes, I've told him to have one of them do the job!
This post has been edited by River59: Oct 21 2018, 10:43 AM

--------------------

Posts in this topic

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    31st March 2020 - 06:24 PM