UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Online Survey Database, Access 2016    

LagoDavid
post Aug 8 2018, 08:02 AM
Post#1

I am not sure where this question belongs, so if it is misplaced please feel free to move it.

I have need to survery about 80 different people to gather information about some customer sites. There are about 15 questions I need answers to, and then I need to compile all of the answers. I would typically have used Excel to make the form, send an Excel file to each respondent, and then compile all of the responses into a single worksheet in one file. The first two steps of this are easy; the third is a time sink.

How do I go about doing this with Access? I know how to build the database on my computer, but how do I build it and make it available on line? Just some general guidelines to get me started Googling if you would please.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 8 2018, 08:20 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

"... make it available on line" frown.gif

The survey part is quite straightforward in Access. Here's a classic.

The hard part is putting it on line. Access doesn't support that, at least not in any direct way. As you probably know, AWAs were deprecated some time ago. There's no replacement in the Access portfolio.

You might find one of the online survey apps, like Survey Monkey fills the bill.

DanielPineault
post Aug 8 2018, 09:49 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Access and the Web do not mix. You would be much better off looking to use one of many survey providers, some of which are even free. SurveyMonkey is a very well known one. Also, if you have a Website, many website CMS have packages/plugins that can be installed for this type of thing.

LagoDavid
post Aug 8 2018, 08:22 PM
Post#4

Thank you both for the reponses, and GPG also for the Duane Hookom sample database. It was interesting looking at his table structure. I will take a look at Survey Monkey and hope it meets my needs.

a related question though - how do you go about providing an Access application that a remote field sales force can all use? Is that not possible? Do all users have to be on a LAN to utilize an Access DB?

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 8 2018, 08:46 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Long story short, Access is a Windows application and requires a Windows operating system to run. It can, of course, be deployed in a network environment, i.e. a LAN.

If you need to deploy a database application to a dispersed user group, there are an option or two.

One would be to deploy your tables as Sharepoint lists. Access can connect to SharePoint lists and work with them it does with other data sources. That, of course, assumes you can provide the SharePoint site externally, as with an Office 365 site.

Another would be to create the interface as a browser-based interface and a SQL Server or other database as in a website.

Still another, but less practical for this particular situation, might be a remote desktop to which users could connect and answer your survey questions.

LagoDavid
post Aug 9 2018, 06:01 PM
Post#6

Thank you GPG. My question about a dispersed User group was not really related to this particular survey application. Instead it was addressed with my "dream" project in mind. I have been working on an Access application for over two years (and learning that is likely far beyond my capabilities to complete). The greatest use of the application would be achieved if the application was on a server so that any remote user would have access to it. If that is not achievable, then the next best application would be achieved if it is available on a corporate server and accessible to anyone logged onto that server in any location in the states. For now I have a FE and a BE on my desktop that I am using for slow development. I anticipate turning it over to someone in the future to upsize to SQL Server and "professionalize" the user interface.

I need to read and understand about SharePoint sites, but I have also heard some negative comments regarding SharePoint. I don't understand most of them, but I can get the drift that it is negative.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 10 2018, 07:21 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

SharePoint is limited vis a vis an actual relational database, such as Access, MS SQL, MySQL, etc. I think it gets a bad name because it isn't as robust, but for the right niche, it's not a bad choice as a sort of Back End for a small database application.

I offered that idea based on the relatively small number of items, and what I assumed would be a relatively small number of respondents.

You'd still have to distribute your interface, i.e. the Access FE, to those users.

If you intend to put this application "into the cloud" so to speak (and we do tend to overuse that term, I guess), then a browser-based interface is the proper choice.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th November 2018 - 11:57 AM