UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help With Outlook>access App, Any Version    

RiverKing
post Oct 23 2019, 12:38 PM
Post#1

Because Outlook 2016 and my ISP do such a bad job of blocking junk email, I want to develop a VBA app that would block email when the sender is found in an Access table or other characteristics are found in the arriving email (e.g., no content except one or more links). My problem at this point is getting started.

What do I have to do to get Outlook to invoke my VBA code on arrival of an email? I think I need to write a script that can be started via an Outlook rule but I can't find any information on creating that script.

The Outlook in question receives email from two sources: one is an Exchange (live.com) account and the other is an IMAP/SMTP (tx.rr.com) account. I'd estimate that 90% of my email (and 90% of the junk) arrives via the IMAP account.

The fact that I've done this sort of thing before (a store-and-forward app with Outlook and Excel) makes it even more frustrating. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Chuck
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Oct 23 2019, 01:12 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Why not just add the sender to your blocked list? Then their e-mail are automatically diverted to the Junk folder.

If you still want to build your own system then a good starting point is https://www.slipstick.com/developer/process...ls-with-macros/

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

RiverKing
post Oct 23 2019, 05:00 PM
Post#3

Daniel

re: Adding senders to blocked list. I've been doing this via Rules and have stumbled across a limit of about 75 domain names (yes, I get that much junk email - thanks to indiscriminate use of Reply All by some correspondents); after which Outlook appears to simply quit scanning the list, letting the junk email come on through. In addition, I have found some From: attributes that seem to be immune to blocking although they can be added to the list of words that appear anywhere in the header.

My idea is to move suspect arriving emails into a quarantine folder. Emails in this folder would be examined manually at my leisure and with help from a macro showing me any history of email meeting the "suspect" criteria. Each one examined will be classified as "Accept Once", "Accept Always", "Reject Once", or "Reject Always". Those classified "... Always" would never again appear in the quarantine folder. The history would, of course, be stored in an Access Table displayed and updated via an Access Form.

Suspected criteria would initially be a Sender's Email Address that is not in my Contacts (and not yet marked "...Always"). I can also imagine other criteria as indicated in my initial post here.

I've only scanned the SlipStick page you recommended but it looks like it's exactly what I was looking for (although the technique is very different from what I have used in the past --- but that doesn't appear to be possible now anyway so ….). Thank you very much, Sir.

--------------------
Chuck

DanielPineault
post Oct 23 2019, 06:19 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

No,not using rules.

If you right-click on an offending e-mail, click on Junk and then click on Block Sender.

Also, on the Home tab, if you click on the Junk drop-down arrow and click on Junk E-mail Options ..., go to the Block Senders tab, from here you can add specific e-mail addresses, domain, paterns..., you want to block.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    6th December 2019 - 10:48 PM