UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Form Updated With Data From Another Database, Access 2013    

TDRooky
post Feb 6 2019, 04:44 PM
Post#1

Hi,
We use a front end/back end setup for our Access database files. Today I was working on a backup copy of the back end, linked to my front end .accdb file so I could test some changes.

A user on another pc (we are on a local network) was using the current database (the one I made a backup of) via their own front end .accde file. They ran a VBA process that updates data in tables. The fields that are updated are on a form that always sits open on everyone's front end (a LOGIN FORM). This data tends to refresh itself within minutes of this process being run (on everyone's front end).

The strange thing is, these fields also updated on the front end form open on my pc, which was using a different back end (a duplicate of the true backend but a different name). All tables had been correctly linked to the backup copy.

I cannot figure out how it was possible that the fields in the table in my backup copy got updated with this new information. This has happened before and I passed it off as not a big deal, but now I'm wondering how this could happen.

All the other processes that run along with the updating of these fields which include appending data into tables and emptying other tables do not translate over to my backup copy. The only thing affected is the fields that are on the form that I happen to have open on my front end. I wonder if it has something to do with a cache or perhaps with the declaration of the "currentdb" ?

any thoughts?

Here is a snippet of the VBA:

Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim strsql As String
Dim datPRweek As Date
Dim datBegofYear As Date

datBegofYear = Forms!Start![CurYearBegDate]
datPRweek = Me![PRWeek]

Set db = CurrentDb

'archive records and prepare system for next weeks' payroll. criteria set to forms!start!prweek

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
'update PRWEEK following week
DoCmd.OpenQuery "TrStarttblqry"
'update biweekly code
DoCmd.OpenQuery "UPBiWkCodeqry"

thanks.
Tracy
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Feb 6 2019, 05:02 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Tracy. It's hard to believe how this could have happened if you're not both connected to the same table or some process in the background that refreshed your table with data from the other table. But without seeing it in action, it's hard to offer any place to start or look. The only thing I could offer is to maybe just double-check the table links again and make sure no code is duplicating the data.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

TDRooky
post Feb 7 2019, 09:52 AM
Post#3

I agree, it seems impossible. As I said, this has happened before so I'm going to test it out and see if I can duplicate when I get a chance. Clearly something is amiss.

thanks.
Tracy

theDBguy
post Feb 7 2019, 10:58 AM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Tracy. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes. It would be interesting to find out exactly what/how supposedly impossible things are happening.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

revans611
post Feb 7 2019, 11:07 AM
Post#5

That is strange indeed. You mentioned that your front end has been correctly linked to the backup back end. Did you check the linking on the other users' front ends to the live data back end? I can't imagine how they would have gotten incorrect links, but it couldn't hurt to check.

--------------------
R Evans

There are no bugs in my code, but I keep finding pesky bugs in the data.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st September 2019 - 01:58 AM