UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sse Installer, Access 2016    

InfoHound
post Jan 21 2020, 08:04 PM
Post#1

Can you use SSE Installer to upload an installation package to One Drive then have someone else download and the installation package from your One Drive to do an installation on their computer?
Go to the top of the page

fogline
post Jan 21 2020, 08:25 PM
Post#2

After you build the installer file with SSE just put it in your
One Drive folder account and then you can share it with anyone you need to.

--------------------
Ray White - Fog Line Software LLC.
Email

theDBguy
post Jan 21 2020, 10:12 PM
Post#3

UA Moderator

Hi. SSE Setup creates an EXE file that the user can run on their computer to install the (database) files you packaged in the installer for your application. So, anyone with a copy of this EXE file will be able to install your database/application.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

isladogs
post Jan 22 2020, 02:56 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

As all installer packages create EXE files, any of them can be used to create files for distribution from a website, via Dropbox, One Drive, as an email attachment or on a USB stick or even CD-RW (remember them!)

--------------------
Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Website, email

fogline
post Jan 22 2020, 11:45 PM
Post#5

InfoHound
Have you used SSE installer very long?

--------------------
Email

InfoHound
post Jan 24 2020, 07:10 PM
Post#6

I just sent my first SSE Access.exe a few minutes ago. I'm not too optimistic that I did it correctly and the person I sent it to couldn't wait for me to figure it out, so they are now gone for the weekend.
I guess on Monday I'll find out if it worked or not. I uploaded the EXE file from the SSE folder on my computer to my one drive then shared it with them using their email address. I hope this is how you do it.
I won’t lie. This is great fun.

InfoHound
post Jan 24 2020, 07:16 PM
Post#7

I'm wondering if it copied all the references needed so that the program won't crash?
I try to do late binding whenever possible , but, don't think you can use it for everything?

Thanks to all for your help ( I'll need more). I can't think of a better site on the internet than UA.

Cheers!

fogline
post Jan 24 2020, 07:40 PM
Post#8

The Access Runtime should take care of your standard references.
If you added more references to your project then you will have to add them
when your building the installer file.
You should always test your installer before you ever send it out to anyone.
You need a test computer or you need a program like VMware Workstation
so you can create virtual operation systems to do all of your testing on.

I know that SSE is coming out with a big update next month that will
have some new features for Access and sometime this year they are going to
make the program auto scan for references needed.

They are many great install builders out on the market that will work install your Access project
SamLogic Visual Installer, INNO, and many more, It's just all about what you need for your project.
but most of them you will have to learn script coding which I am no good at.
I had always used SageKey installer for years but they discontinued it.
and now I use SSE it has even more features then SageKay had.

I hope your installer works for you just keep on keeping on... Test Test Test..

--------------------
Email

DanielPineault
post Jan 25 2020, 06:57 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

I used SSE and it worked flawlessly. I even used to to push out updates and it took care of everything so the entire process was seamless. It a great packaging tool for Access with a relatively low learning curve.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

fogline
post Jan 25 2020, 10:29 AM
Post#10

Daniel have you used the SSE "Internet Update Module" yet
so your Custom Access App will Auto check for new updates??

I have not tried it yet I think I am going to wait on the new version 10 that should be out in Feb.

Does any of the other installers that anyone here is using does your installer have "Internet Update Module"
so your Custom Access App will Auto check for new updates??
This post has been edited by fogline: Jan 25 2020, 10:32 AM

--------------------
Email

DanielPineault
post Jan 25 2020, 02:17 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

No, I never have. Truthfully, I long ago created my own ftp routines to check an online web folder, and pull updates if required. That said, I much prefer the hands on approach with my clients and they prefer it typically as well as I deal with any foreseen issues right then and there.

--------------------

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

isladogs
post Jan 25 2020, 04:27 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

I use code within my applications where administrators are automatically alerted if a new update is available.
I can't see any reason why this should be part of an installer app.

I would ask that this thread doesn't turn into another extended advert for SSE Installer ... however good it may be.

--------------------
Website, email

DanielPineault
post Jan 25 2020, 07:56 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

Colin,

I don't see how this thread has turned into an advert?! There are numerous threads in which we discuss people's experiences with various technologies, and this one is no different. And in this case, it directly relates to Access. I personally want to know about other users experiences with this installer, as well as other installers. This is the only way to learn and find out about what is on the market and what works best.

Anywho, I certainly don't see any crossing lines in this discussion.

--------------------

isladogs
post Jan 26 2020, 03:43 AM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Daniel
I will reply via a PM

--------------------
Website, email

chrislong2
post Jan 26 2020, 04:34 AM
Post#15

Colin, I'm not sure if you're trying to bait me into posting in this thread or not. I've purposely stayed out of it and saw no need for my involvement, and once again I had nothing to do with its creation or of any of the users above expressing their own opinions. But I do take exception to your representation of me in that other thread. I did not in any way go out of my way to specifically criticize other products, and I did not come there to "blatantly advertise", I came as a result of other users mentioning SSE Setup and I then wanted to introduce myself and help provide clarity for the Access community as to what SSE Setup could and could not offer for the very reason that that information has long been missing and I feel like my posts were fairly respectful and truthful as it relates to other products. While I know I pushed the envelope a bit in my last few posts (which were deleted) and I apologized for that, I was not accused of any specific wrongdoing or warned or threatened in any way. As far as I know (or understood anyway) the reasons for the post removals were not the ones you are inferring (tho there certainly might have been an element of that). I'm also perfectly fine if the admins want to remove both of our posts here. If you want to discuss this further or have a discussion on SSE Setup vs your favored installer, I'm happy to do so via PM with you. For my part, Colin, I apologize if you feel I stepped on any toes. That was not and is not my intention. I have zero interest in coming here and bashing other products. At the same time, I think it's perfectly reasonable in a forum that specifically has "Access deployment" in its name for users to be aware of and discuss SSE Setup and what it offers given that it is the only one actively-developed with built-in, developer-provided, fully-ready-to-go Access deployment. That doesn't mean there aren't other options people might want to use or be appropriate in certain situations and I think they should be discussed here too! If you or anyone else wants to use another installer or think another one is a better fit for you, I say that's great and I wish you all the best! Again, I'm not trying to bash other products. But, in my opinion it's not reasonable to expect people not to discuss an option like SSE Setup in an Access deployment forum. And I would say that even if I wasn't the developer. Out of respect for this forum, I will not be posting back and forth on this with you, I've said my peace, but like I said I'm happy to discuss further with you via PM or my site if you would like. Regards, Chris
This post has been edited by chrislong2: Jan 26 2020, 05:07 AM

isladogs
post Jan 26 2020, 05:48 AM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

Chris
Having earlier made a very nuanced comment, my last post was purely intended as a response to Daniel.
With hindsight it was potentially treading on moderators' toes and was inappropriate for a public forum.
I have now voluntarily deleted my post.

Similarly I'm not going to enter into a public (or indeed private) debate with you on this matter.

Good luck with future developments of your product

--------------------
Website, email

fogline
post Jan 26 2020, 02:41 PM
Post#17

I am going to try to get this thread back on track where it should be when it was started.
I will try to be as politically correct as I can when I talk about something so that I will not
offend anyone.
Also I do not promote any product that I use or talk about..

Everybody has their own developing tools that they use to build their Access projects
so I can only help with feedback on the ones that I use myself.
So back to this thread and InfoHounds questions.

I'm wondering if it copied all the references needed so that the program won't crash?

InfoHounds I would think that if you built an Access database and you did not add
any other references to your project then I would think that the Access Runtime
or the Full version of Access that your end user will be using that it should take care
of everything for you. BUT if you did add any new references then yes you will have to add
them in your installer as you build it. It may be .DLL or .OCX that you will have to add
and if it is .OCX you may need to have your install Register it after it installs it.

I am not that good on building installers I only use 2 install builders
and that is SageKey and SSE and I am no good at writing script code to handle all of the
things that you need to install an Access Database.

Also, you should always test your installer before you send it out.
you may want to get you a VM program to do your testing with.

If you need any help with either of these install builders please feel free to email me
and I will help you all I can outside of this forum so that it will not offend anyone.

InfoHounds good luck with your project.
This post has been edited by fogline: Jan 26 2020, 03:05 PM

--------------------
Email

InfoHound
post Jan 26 2020, 05:27 PM
Post#18

Thanks Ray, I appreciate the help.

If you or Chris could guide me in how to include the reference files that would be great.

I'm thinking that this is done on the "Install Files" page, but I'm not sure how to do it.
I just found the (using right click mouse button on the Source file) "Register DLL/OCX file(s)
I've clicked on this option. Does this mean that the references are now included in the EXE file or do I need to list (select) them somewhere?
Here are the references used in the program:

1- Visual Basic For Applications
2- Microsoft Access 16.0 Object Library
3- OLE Automation
4- Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library
5- Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.8 for DDL and Security
6- Microsoft Office 16.0 Access database engine Objects
7- Microsoft Office 16.0 Object Library
8- Microsoft Word 16.0 Object Library

The people at the other end have Access 2016 so I won't need the runtime version.

Thanks

P.S. The virtual machine idea is brilliant! I have a friend that is going to show me how to do that this week ; I'm really looking forward to it.
This post has been edited by InfoHound: Jan 26 2020, 05:32 PM

isladogs
post Jan 26 2020, 05:49 PM
Post#19

UtterAccess VIP

VBA references are part of the Access file.
Unless you use a non-standard reference (one not installed with Office/Windows), you don't need to do anything.
The only exception is where your clients will have different versions of Access.
In that case follow the standard rule and create a version for distribution in the earliest version in use by your clients.

--------------------
Website, email

FrankRuperto
post Jan 26 2020, 06:31 PM
Post#20

So in other words, if developer specifies any references that are included with Office and saves the Access app, then installer does not have to automate the inclusion of the standard refs?

But if an app uses custom references, like in my example images, then an installer has to include them?

How can an installer automate the inclusion of a non-standard reference in an Access app?... vba automation?

I'm also curious to know if installers show the progress as each step is being installed, example the steps I have in my Windows batch file?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  QBOref.PNG ( 30.97K )Number of downloads: 9
Attached File  regasm.PNG ( 248.65K )Number of downloads: 11

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st February 2020 - 10:46 AM