UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Enabling/disabling Check Boxes In A Subform In Datasheet Mode, Access 2016    

FrankRuperto
post Jan 14 2020, 12:28 PM
Post#21

So you are going to be using cascading comboboxes instead of checkboxes for the calcs, meaning that depending on the service condition that the user selects, the calcs combo will only display the calcs that are related to the condition the user selected in the previous combo, as shown in the example below. You will be using a query to populate the calcs in the cbo based on the condition the user selected in the previous cbo. This way you dont need to add any" long winded and inefficient If statements". All you have to do is maintain the lookup tables if new conditions and related calcs are needed, or if the rules change.

EDIT: You need to add another sub_condition level (sub_type) for Conditions, example: You have "Closed Outlets - Feed Continues", but what if "Closed Outlets -" has a different sub_condition like "Heat Source On", which I noticed way at the bottom of your conditions list? So now your cascading cbo's are going to include a SubCondition lookup table before selecting the related calcs. Careful design planning is strongly suggested before developing.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jan 14 2020, 01:15 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  LookupsForCascadingCombos.PNG ( 48.79K )Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  CascadingCboExample.PNG ( 38.08K )Number of downloads: 6

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.
Go to the top of the page

DominicG
post Jan 14 2020, 01:42 PM
Post#22

Frank,
I'm sorry, but you lost me with this one.

I'm not sure how to use the results of the cascading combo box to load the calc. The idea behind using the Option Butons or Check Boxes was that they give the user a "Button" to double click to load the calc.

Additionally, the Service Condition "Closed Outlets - Feed Continues" is totally separate from "Closed Outlets - Heat Source On" and should be considered as separate entries.

tina t
post Jan 14 2020, 11:59 PM
Post#23

Thank you for taking the time to put together that example. While it does perform as I explained, there is small problem. There will be more than one Service Condition associated with a project. Usually there are three or four. Sometimes more.
So we're back to me needing to be able to take the results of the query and set the value of a control like a check box or option button to True or False.

well, i doubt that we're back to that. you're mixing structural design issues with interface design issues. this isn't Excel. in Access, the structure and display are separate.

now that you've thrown another piece of the puzzle into the mix, let's stop a minute. we've been discussing this piecemeal, so of course we're not addressing all the issues. but that's no way to design a database, or the application that sits on top of it. how about explaining the business prcoess that the database will support. don't couch the explanation in terms of spreadsheets or tables, forms or clicking this and that. i'm a new employee; explain to me what is the business process, and what is the purpose and goal of the process.

btw, here's where learning process analysis is shown to be so important. before you can build a database and application to support a business process, you need to analyze the process, understand what steps are required to complete the process to achieve the needed outcome, and how those steps fit together, and into the bigger picture.

the structural design of the database will mirror the real-world entities and their relationships with each other. the interface will guide and support the user in completing the tasks necessary to support the business process and achieve its' goals.

so, want to start with an explanation in plain English to your new employee, of what you're doing and why?

hth
tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 15 2020, 08:23 AM
Post#24

UA Admin

tina. thumbup.gif

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

DominicG
post Jan 15 2020, 09:46 AM
Post#25

Tina,

Well said! I'm always getting on the people I work with about knowing the project before starting.

I want to lay this out in pretty simple terms but I'm in a time crunch right now on another project. But I wanted to reply and let you know I'll be back with a nice clear statement of work (or something to that effect)

Thanks,
Dominic

DominicG
post Jan 15 2020, 02:37 PM
Post#26

Ok, here's a write-up in MS Word (zipped file). I'd post it as text here but you loose the indents and formatting when you do so

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Order_to_operations.zip ( 17.93K )Number of downloads: 3

tina t
post Jan 15 2020, 02:58 PM
Post#27

hi Dominic, thanks for the Word doc. i'm at work too, and supposed to be working on, well, work stuff. ;) so i downloaded the file, and i'll read it later this PM, when i'm back on my own time. i may come back with questions if i need clarification to feel i can make reasonable suggestions. hopefully others will read it too, and may get back to you sooner.

hth
tina

--------------------

tina t
post Jan 15 2020, 02:59 PM
Post#28

hi George, thanks for the thumbs up. :) i hope you'll have time to read the doc that Dominic posted - two relational design heads are better than one! tina

--------------------

tina t
post Jan 16 2020, 03:58 PM
Post#29

hi Dominic, okay, i snuck a look at the Word doc just now. lots of questions:

1. what is a PRD?

2. is the PRD number generated in the database (db, henceforth)?

3. is data about the PRD to be stored in the db?

4. what is a project?

5. is the project number generated in the db?

6. is data about the project to be stored in the db?

7. how are PRDs and projects related, if at all?

8. how are PRDs and clients related, if at all?

9. how are projects and clients related, if at all?

10. is a revision number generated in the db?

11. revision number refers to a revision of what?

12. what is a Case Letter?

13. how is it assigned?

14. "Run the appropriate Calculations for each case" what does this mean?

15. is "calculation" literally a math expression, or series of them?

16. if 7 above is "Yes", should the calculations occur in the database? or will it only store the results?

anyone else, pls chime in with other questions that i've overlooked. :)

tina

--------------------

DominicG
post Jan 17 2020, 08:19 AM
Post#30

1. what is a PRD?

Pressure Relief Device.

(see below explanation for more)

2. is the PRD number generated in the database (db, henceforth)?

No, it is generated by the Client and given to us

3. is data about the PRD to be stored in the db?

Yes, and it is stored in a separate table called "tblProjData". This table contains stuff like plant location, the process the PRD is used in, etc

4. what is a project?

Pretty much what is sounds like. The project number is the number we use internally to track the project. It's assigned by the admin to the project and used in our time sheets

5. is the project number generated in the db?

No

6. is data about the project to be stored in the db?

See answer to #3

7. how are PRDs and projects related, if at all?

Each Project will have one or more PRDs associated with it

8. how are PRDs and clients related, if at all?

See explanation below

9. how are projects and clients related, if at all?

See explanation below

10. is a revision number generated in the db?

No

11. revision number refers to a revision of what?

Revision of the Project

12. what is a Case Letter?

Just a letter assigned to each Case so it can be differentiated

13. how is it assigned?

The user assigns it

14. "Run the appropriate Calculations for each case" what does this mean?

Remember the table tblCalc? Each of those is a VERY detailed calculation form with a very intense series of calcs behind it.

15. is "calculation" literally a math expression, or series of them?

See above

16. if 7 above is "Yes", should the calculations occur in the database? or will it only store the results?

Only store the results

Long and short of all the above is that we get a request from a Client to to perform a check on one or more PRDs. Usually the clients are big pharmaceutical or chemical plants. The client supplies the location, where it is used in their plant, and any other info that describes where it's used.

Now these devices (PRDs) are usually installed on tanks/vessels that under pressure. The PRD and are used to vent the tank or vessel in the case of an emergency. Sort of like the whistle on a tea pot. We get paid to certified if the existing PRD works or if they need a new one. We get supplied with all the background info like drawings and specs to help us in our determination. Each PRD gets (1) "package" associated with it. Our engineers will look over the details of a PRD and make certain assumptions about which type of "Service Conditions" (scenarios where problems might occur) are applicable. Each Service Condition get's it own Case Letter and has a one or more types of calculations associated with it.

My goal for the past couple years has been to "standardize" this process. To prove it would work we first used MS Access and Visual Basic to make a calculation form for each of (7) Calcs. The results of the calculation were sent to a nicely formatted report with the intent of issuing this to a customer. And this worked out perfectly. So much so that our management team wants to see the role of this project expanded to account for more variations.

I hope that this answered your questions sufficiently.
This post has been edited by DominicG: Jan 17 2020, 08:21 AM

FrankRuperto
post Jan 17 2020, 09:27 AM
Post#31

2. is the PRD number generated in the database (db, henceforth)? No, it is generated by the Client and given to us
5. is the project number generated in the db? No
10. is a revision number generated in the db? No
13. how is [a case letter] assigned? The user assigns it

These need clarification. Software applications, not humans, are the source for generating and assigning unique sequential numbers.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

DominicG
post Jan 17 2020, 09:41 AM
Post#32

2. is the PRD number generated in the database (db, henceforth)? No, it is generated by the Client and given to us
5. is the project number generated in the db? No
10. is a revision number generated in the db? No
13. how is [a case letter] assigned? The user assigns it

All are human generated and unique

tina t
post Jan 17 2020, 04:13 PM
Post#33

hi Dominic, i'm at work again, as usual. thanks for the additional info. i'm going to see if i can take home the sample db i posted, and think about it and the info you posted, over the weekend. i may have more questions, or may be able to offer a suggested structure based on the info you provided. one way or another, i'll post back.

hth
tina

--------------------

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th January 2020 - 09:10 AM