UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Awa Database Tuning, Access 2013 Web App    

RobKoelmans
post Mar 6 2018, 03:34 AM
Post#21

Hi Ryan,
If they are using it for just AWA's - not also for SharePoint - your users will have to pay for SQL-Server Enterprise or Standard CALs anyway. And even if they do I'd still doubt it's license compliant to use SQL-Web Edition for SharePoint. They should really check with Microsoft whether they're compliant. Would be great if they are. In that case we could have the same licensing scheme over here in Europe.
Kind regards,
Rob
This post has been edited by RobKoelmans: Mar 6 2018, 03:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

ryan996
post Mar 6 2018, 05:11 AM
Post#22

I'm just speculating, but they're hosting over virtual machines. So they could theoretically be using a shared SQL Enterprise license for SharePoint Server and then a dedicated SQL web license for AWA.

RobKoelmans
post Mar 6 2018, 05:32 AM
Post#23

I see. They can indeed use more SQL-Server instances share the same CPU-licenses, both on different virtual machines on the same physical machine and within one virtual machine. And they can do things within one database. If they already charge for that elsewhere, they can choose to give AWA-users a free ride on their SQL-Licensing.

Do they have it running on SharePoint 2013 or 2016? (2013 doesn't provide cascaded combo/dropdown-boxes).
Kind regards,
Rob

ryan996
post Mar 6 2018, 06:25 AM
Post#24

My combos work fine so I assume SP 2016. They also run some SQL scripts that cache the queries to make the load time quicker.

RobKoelmans
post Mar 6 2018, 09:39 AM
Post#25

Nice.

RobKoelmans
post Mar 6 2018, 11:21 PM
Post#26

But in that case they have the same approach as we have and doesn't it make sense for them to use the WebServer Edition for AWA. They can use the same or a second version of Enterprise or Standard for the same money then. WebService or Express versions are not more lightweight or anything as far as I know. They only advance it would have, would be that they can run the AWA database on different hardware, but that would create another single point of failure. IMO more memory and cores on the same hardware would be preferable (with replica failover and/or clustering for redundancy).
Kind regards,
Rob

ryan996
post Mar 7 2018, 01:13 AM
Post#27

I needed to get access to the SQL server back-end in my app thru SSMS. They have a less costly hosting option for those that do not need this. Perhaps they are using the approach you describe.

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th October 2019 - 10:39 PM