UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jobs And Projects Forum    

projecttoday
post Sep 4 2019, 10:27 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

I would like to see the Jobs and Projects forum revived.

--------------------
Robert Crouser
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Sep 4 2019, 10:32 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Robert. No promises but can you suggest any rules or guidance we could maybe implement to avoid the problems we had (sorry I can't remember all of them but one of them was about spam) with the old job postings forum? Thanks!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 4 2019, 10:37 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Robert,

We dropped them for a couple of reasons. One was the problem of keeping posted projects up-to-date. Have posted jobs been contracted out? Are they still open? Does the poster have the responsibility to let others know of the disposition of posted jobs? The more serious problem was that sponsoring such a form might be interpreted as an endorsement of anyone offering services via that forum. That, of course, we couldn't do. There's no way we could vet any and all posters, either offers of work or offers to provide services. Nor would we want to assume that responsibility for either role.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

projecttoday
post Sep 4 2019, 10:45 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Thanks, dbGuy and George. I didn't realize that forum was such a problem.

dbGuy, the only thing I could suggest, and my website experience is limited, would be a prominently-placed disclaimer / disclaimers. As far as spam goes, aren't the rest of the forums subject to that?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

kfield7
post Sep 4 2019, 10:46 AM
Post#5

Wouldn't a disclaimer (large print, bold, underlined, italicized, red) be sufficient to mitigate the endorsement concerns?

(appears Robert was thinking alike)
This post has been edited by kfield7: Sep 4 2019, 10:47 AM

kfield7
post Sep 4 2019, 11:07 AM
Post#6

Disposition of the posting:
A) OP closes the job or
B) Job auto-closes after X days.

projecttoday
post Sep 4 2019, 11:25 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

B sounds good. The project listing disappears automatically after 7 ... 14 ... 30 (?) days if the OP doesn't bump it.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

jleach
post Sep 4 2019, 11:34 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess Editor

Unfortunately hardly anyone reads any guidelines/disclaimers (a few do on occasion, but generally their practical purpose is more to point to it/them when they're violated).

Regarding spam and the rest of the forums, yes, we do deal with that elsewhere besides the job boards, but the job board tends to attract that type of behavior like moths to a bright light at night. Due to the nature of such a board, there's quite a bit of different dynamics regarding that in comparison to the rest of the boards:

- we get members that sign up to post/promote there and don't contribute anywhere else
- it's competitive by nature: people generally tend to act different when there's something of monetary value on the line instead of goodwill volunteering
- what is acceptable vs spam is often very subjective in a job/project board
- when something does need moderation, there tends to be a lot more pushback and discontent on the part of the person being moderated than elsewhere

All in all, it's much more difficult to manage the human nature aspect of a jobs board then the "regular" boards.

With that said, I personally don't see this as insurmountable or offer these as an excuse for why the mods can't do it (or to suggest that we're lazy and don't want to). This topic has come up a number of times in mod discussion since the board was closed, but as you can see no changes as of yet.

--------------------

projecttoday
post Sep 4 2019, 12:27 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Okay, I'm sure you're right about people not reading the fine print. I think that's why kfield and I suggested creating a message that is really noticeable. Maybe disclaimer isn't really the right word. How about warning message? Just a suggestion.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

kfield7
post Sep 4 2019, 12:57 PM
Post#10

Maybe even require users who access the job forum to acknowledge the disclaimer each time they open the forum page?

GlenKruger
post Sep 4 2019, 10:34 PM
Post#11

Utterly Crispy UA Forum Administrator

CODE
B) Job auto-closes after X days.

We tried that but the software changed and I just didn't have the time to monitor it on a daily basis back then.

--------------------
Human nature, it is a funny thing and the hardest thing to program to prevent.
Glen Kruger KNKConsulting
MS Access MVP 2013-2018| Wrox Techincal Contributor

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th September 2019 - 07:29 AM