UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When I Type In A New Row, The One Above Goes Blank, Access 2016    

syvers
post May 23 2019, 08:43 AM
Post#1

Hi

I have a screenshot below and the basic problem is this:

As soon as I key something in the new row then the one immediately above goes blank. The data is still there it just doesn't show, it does not show until I finish the new row and then I click on each control in the row above. As I click each control then it's value magically re appears.

Has anyone seen this happen, I am at the point of just trying all over again so I can try to pin point at what stage it stops working.

The attachment is showing a new row has just begun to be entered, at the moment that the number was typed into the first text control the row above's data disappeared. If I then finish the row and insert it then either refresh the whole grid or click on each control in the dodgy row one at a time then the data appears again.

Thanks.

p.s. It is an ACCDB in a Access 2019 application (2019 is not available in the drop down on the forum but I would not be surprised to have the same problem in earlier ones)
This post has been edited by syvers: May 23 2019, 08:44 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Row_data_dissappeared.JPG ( 35.95K )Number of downloads: 16

Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post May 23 2019, 08:52 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

That's an interesting phenomenon.

My suspicion is that you have some calculations going on in one or more controls on that subform. Moving focus from the last entered record (normally the one directly above the new record) to a new record may prevent the calculation(s) from being completed and the screen refreshed.

Try this, put the cursor in the first record showing, the one at the top of the continuous view subform. Then go to the new record. Does the same thing happen in that sequence of steps?

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

syvers
post Jun 11 2019, 04:01 AM
Post#3

Hi,

Sorry I did not respond I did not get a notification so hadn't checked for replies.

Unfortunately, nothing stops it. It happens the moment you try to type something in on the new row so moving the cursor from top to new row doesn't change anything.

Do you know a way to find out what the error is i.e. an error trap somewhere? I have tried a breakpoint in Form_OnError but it does not enter that method even when the #error appears.

Thanks very much

gemmathehusky
post Jun 11 2019, 05:06 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

As George says, it might be because there is conditional formatting, or other circumstance that affects the displayed values in the previous row.

if you cancel the new row, and return to the previous one, does the data re-appear?

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

syvers
post Jun 11 2019, 08:13 AM
Post#5

Thanks for the reply, yes the data reappears.

gemmathehusky
post Jun 11 2019, 09:15 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

do you have any conditional formatting applied?

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

isladogs
post Jun 11 2019, 12:20 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Another odd thing from your screenshot is that the checkboxes on the row above now show as though they have null values. Are they unbound?
Does this happen on other forms or in other dB?
It might be useful to upload a cut down copy of your dB for us to test.
That way we'll know for sure if its your dB or your Access installation that's at fault

--------------------

syvers
post Jun 12 2019, 02:01 AM
Post#8

Hi
It looks like it is due to a third party tool. I removed it and the form is working like it should. I will monitor it for a bit to ensure it doesn't revert back though.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

FYI, I am migrating from ADP in Access 2010 to Accdb so never know what is third party, what is different in access and so on. It's not much fun crazy.gif

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 12 2019, 07:10 AM
Post#9

UA Admin

"...FYI, I am migrating from ADP in Access 2010 to Accdb so never know what is third party,... "

Sometimes, not knowing details like that does create a bit of a hurdle, but better late than never. And you did figure it out.

Continued Success with your project.

And a tip of the hat to those who worked so hard to help figure this out with you.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th June 2019 - 07:35 PM