UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Page Control Forms, Access 2016    

mmchaley
post Apr 8 2020, 02:30 PM
Post#1

Hello all,

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on using the page control option.

I am having a work process that is getting beyond my single form. I am thinking about using page controls to define the work flow.

My question is, is it better add the field controls onto the Page Control, or is it better to create a separate form and add the form to the page control?

Thanks much,
Mark

How do you edit the title? Should be Page, not Age frown.gif
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Apr 9 2020, 08:38 AM
Reason for edit: Post Title
Go to the top of the page

Doug Steele
post Apr 8 2020, 02:46 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I've always found it easier to use a separate form as a subform on the page.

--------------------
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP (2000-2018)
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

tina t
post Apr 8 2020, 02:50 PM
Post#3

My question is, is it better add the field controls onto the Page Control, or is it better to create a separate form and add the form to the page control?

i assume you're talking about a Tab Control, which has "pages". as long as you're working with one table, recommend you don't use a second, separate form - even as a subform. if you do, you'll run into update issues. better to put the bound controls directly on the tab page(s) where you want them.

and btw, how many fields are in your table? while there is no set maximum number of fields that should be in a table, it's a general rule of thumb that if a table has more than 30 to 40 fields, it's a warning sign that the table may not be normalized.

hth
tina

EDIT: well, Doug is more experienced and skilled than me, by far, so i wouldn't presume to contradict him. :) @Doug, am i thinking of something else, when i think about write conflicts on the same record in a form and a subform?
This post has been edited by tina t: Apr 8 2020, 02:53 PM

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

projecttoday
post Apr 8 2020, 03:12 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I would say a tab control is fine if all you want is to organize or separate controls on a single-record form.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

mmchaley
post Apr 8 2020, 03:21 PM
Post#5

Yes, Tab Control ( didn't want to say tab control as some may confuse that with tab order)

Thanks for the input - Wonderful thing about access, no two people have the same experience with it.

I currently have 68 fields in the table - some of them are related, like address accounts for 5 alone

I will have to think on how i would break my table down as it has expanded in the number of fields

projecttoday
post Apr 8 2020, 03:47 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Sixty-eight fields could be a sign of incorrect design or maybe not. Do all of these fields pertain to the subject of the table?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

Doug Steele
post Apr 8 2020, 04:22 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Definitely agree with Robert: 68 fields in a single table is almost always a sign of incorrect normalization.

Tina: You may be right, but I think I'm being vindicated! laugh.gif

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile
Co-author: Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs, published by Wiley
Co-author: Effective SQL: 61 Specific Ways to Write Better SQL, published by Addison-Wesley Professional
Technical Editor: Access 2010 Bible, Access 2013 Bible, Access 2016 Bible, all published by Wiley
Technical Editor: SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL, 4th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley Professional

FrankRuperto
post Apr 8 2020, 04:39 PM
Post#8

We don't know yet. It depends on what's being stored in the table. Maybe the entity has many attributes that belong together. As long as the table is normalized then there's really no rule of thumb as to how many fields constitutes too many. Since OP mentioned a workflow, maybe its a process that involves many steps that would live better in a child table and use a subform?
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Apr 8 2020, 04:52 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

Doug Steele
post Apr 8 2020, 04:48 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

I think you'll find that the majority of us old timers claim 20 fields in a properly normalized table is unusual, Frank.

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile

FrankRuperto
post Apr 8 2020, 05:18 PM
Post#10

I think it all depends, I've seen some very wide flattened tables in data warehouse applications. I can think of several objects in this world that have many attributes, each having multiple options, e.g. house, vehicle, etc. There is such a thing as over-normalizing, and sometimes tables are intentionally denormalized to improve performance and simplify complex queries, but maybe that's not the OP's usecase and he put a bunch of fields in one table in order to use one main form for all of them?
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Apr 8 2020, 05:26 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

tina t
post Apr 8 2020, 08:34 PM
Post#11

Tina: You may be right, but I think I'm being vindicated!

hi Doug! :) not sure what you mean, hon. my comment was sincere, and my question was real. was i thinking of a similar, perhaps, but different scenario re write conflicts? as for number of table fields, i agree with both you and Robert, as i mentioned it in my first post. :) tina

--------------------

Doug Steele
post Apr 9 2020, 07:34 AM
Post#12

UtterAccess VIP

Sorry for being flippant, Tina.

Yes, you likely will run into contention issues having multiple forms trying to write to the same row in the table. However, given what we're hearing about the design, my suspicion is that the data should be written to multiple tables, so that contention shouldn't be an issue.

Stay well!

--------------------
Personal webpage
Microsoft profile

tina t
post Apr 9 2020, 01:51 PM
Post#13

you too, Doug, thank you! :) tina
This post has been edited by tina t: Apr 9 2020, 01:52 PM

--------------------

mmchaley
post Apr 10 2020, 11:50 AM
Post#14

The table that is 86 fields is for tracking quotes. I have things that are specific to each individual quote like project address, quote number, owner's quote number, project name, dates (I have 6 dates I need to track for each quote) bonding info (6 fields), Then i have a few long text fields for scope narratives, project risks, and general comments.

I could break it apart, but as I only add about 200 records a year, and can archive every 3 years it is not too cumbersome.

So, the initial question of adding field controls directly to a Tab Control Page or creating a form then adding the form to a Tab Control page.. I only have 2 thoughts so far and they are 100% opposite. I would like to hear more from those who have used this feature more.

Thanks,
Mark

tina t
post Apr 10 2020, 03:30 PM
Post#15

well, a lot of developers use tab controls and subforms for various scenarios. probably not a lot of experienced developers design tables with 86 fields, so the issue doesn't really come up. that may be why you're not getting a lot of answers.

hth
tina

--------------------

mmchaley
post Apr 14 2020, 04:13 PM
Post#16

Even if i were to break the table down, I still have the same question. It is a matter of work flow for what I am doing, not the number of fields I have in a single table.

projecttoday
post Apr 14 2020, 04:39 PM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

Tina is probably right. Tab controls really aren't that common.

Your form is only for one table. If you put a form on each tab of the tab control you would have multiple record sources based on the same table which you would then have to navigate to the same record once the user opens the form.

Just have one form based on one record source. Drop a tab control on it. Put whatever fields you want on page 1. Put whatever fields you want on page 2. Put whatever fields you want on page 3. On so on.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

mmchaley
post Apr 14 2020, 05:17 PM
Post#18

Thank you - that helps, I was going about it backwards and didn't realize it.

projecttoday
post Apr 14 2020, 06:02 PM
Post#19

UtterAccess VIP

Okay. Let us know how it goes.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

FrankRuperto
post Apr 14 2020, 08:12 PM
Post#20

Can you provide us your table design?.. Hopefully the field names in your 86-field table are descriptive, then we can analyze it and make better suggestions.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Apr 14 2020, 08:13 PM

--------------------

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    30th May 2020 - 09:29 AM