UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help With Acces 2016 Search Button, Access 2016    

Larry Larsen
post Apr 18 2020, 04:25 AM
Post#21

UA Editor + Utterly Certified

Hi Adrian
Just wanted to keep you updated with regards to me trying to construct some very basic tables & relationships..

Also trying to make some sense of the "flat" table of data you have, interesting little project that keeps me puzzled ( I like puzzles..)

I thought at some point I had worked out the data, until I build at small form to replicate your form..

All seems to be working with most data in the right place, until I noticed error's in the what's called "Prev..???" records..

Not all were matching up, so I'm revisiting those processes..

Attached are a couple of images of the T&R and a simple form, again trying to replicate your form..

thumbup.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  2020_04_18_10_17_43.jpg ( 122.45K )Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  2020_04_18_10_16_50.jpg ( 226.06K )Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
"Time...We have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein"
H. Jackson Brown
Go to the top of the page

Larry Larsen
post Apr 18 2020, 04:33 AM
Post#22

Hi Adrian

Can you see from the table & relationship image how I have "broken" up your eternities into smaller tables and tried in most cases to have them "linked".

The center table is tblAirCraft and the associated tables that support and provide data.

As the application develop you will at some point want to add more as the plane profile gets more details that you feel you need to capture..

Once the T&R are complete to a very basic level then some of the fun can begin, creating form's that allow you to input data..

Question I would ask is have you "imported" data into you db at any time..

If so then a process would need to be resolved on how importing can be achieved..
thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Time...We have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein"
H. Jackson Brown

Adrian_Corn
post Apr 18 2020, 06:23 AM
Post#23

Morning Larry,

That looks fantastic, many thanks again for all your hard work

in answer to the question about importing data, with this DB all the data was input by hand, simply because their is not ( so far as i know ) a single source for the data, so what i am attempting to do is assimilate the data from the various Aviation regulatory bodies around the world into a complete picture of an aircraft's history. So i do not foresee an import data requirement.

Again Many Thanks

Adrian
This post has been edited by Adrian_Corn: Apr 18 2020, 06:24 AM

Adrian_Corn
post Apr 18 2020, 06:35 AM
Post#24

Hi Larry

In case you were wondering how the database relates to the real world, and using your screenshot of RB-4, here it is :-

Attached File(s)

Larry Larsen
post Apr 18 2020, 11:45 AM
Post#25

Hi Adrian
Wish i had one..lol..
thumbup.gif

--------------------
H. Jackson Brown

Adrian_Corn
post Apr 19 2020, 09:54 AM
Post#26

Hi Larry,

Raytheon no longer build the Premier, but a second hand one will cost anywhere between USD $1,575,000 to USD $1,595,000

(Cheap at half the price ! )

Regards

Adrian

FrankRuperto
post Apr 19 2020, 10:08 AM
Post#27

Hi Adrian,

It would make more sense to have an Aircraft history table that creates a new record every time a change is made to any field. I do this to track any changes made to a customer record in my pawnshop app. If a customer changes their address, telephone number, photo ID, etc. the user updates the field(s) in the customer table and an image of that record is saved to the history table. When a new customer is added, it also saves that record to the history table. When users search by any customer field, it searches the history table and displays all records that satisfy the search criteria.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Apr 19 2020, 10:32 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  CustHistory.PNG ( 98.3K )Number of downloads: 6

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

Adrian_Corn
post Apr 19 2020, 12:20 PM
Post#28

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for the suggestion, so the "history" table is invisible to the user and the user only inputs to another table, the data being moved to the history table ?

Regards

Adrian

FrankRuperto
post Apr 19 2020, 02:02 PM
Post#29

You can make the readonly history table visible in a subform, and you don't have to track or show all fields in the history subform, just the fields you want to track changes made to in the main form. Every time you add a new Aircraft record it saves it to the history table as the first record. Then anytime you make changes to an existing record in the main form, it adds a new snapshot record to the history table. You might also want to add a timestamp field to the history table so you know when the change was made.

Here's basic VBA snippet for appending records to the history table:

CODE
Private Sub AircraftForm_AfterUpdate()  'this sub fires in the OnClick event when user presses the Save Button
   On Error GoTo locErrorHandler
   cmdSave.Transparent = True
   cmdUndo.Transparent = True
   CurrentDb.Execute "qryAircraftHistory_AppendAfterChange", dbSeeChanges

qryAircraftHistory_AppendAfterChange:

INSERT INTO tblAirCraftHistory ( [PlaneID], ... )
SELECT [tblAirCraft.PlaneID], ...
FROM tblAirCraft
WHERE (((tblAirCraft.PlaneID)=Eval("[Forms]![frmAirCraft]![PlaneID]")));

This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Apr 19 2020, 02:48 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  AirCraftHistoryDiagram.PNG ( 15.11K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  AirCraftHistoryForm.PNG ( 51.9K )Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  Aircraft.zip ( 40.23K )Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

Larry Larsen
post Apr 20 2020, 08:34 AM
Post#30

Hi Frank

Many thanks for the suggested processes of capturing "changes" to the inputted record..

I have also suggested a method of "Auditing" in such a way that it's similar..

But the task that I'm involved in, is to normalize that flat file which has some 27k records with something in the region of 30 fields per record.

Some thing to keep me from going "ga-ga" dontknow.gif , can't wait to get back on that golf course.. dance.gif
thumbup.gif

--------------------
H. Jackson Brown

Larry Larsen
post Apr 20 2020, 09:03 AM
Post#31

Hi Adrian

I have sent you a PM (private mail here at UA)
thumbup.gif

--------------------
H. Jackson Brown

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    7th July 2020 - 11:41 PM