UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Closed TopicStart new topic
> Free Virus Software    

FrankRuperto
post Apr 5 2020, 06:35 PM
Post#21

Great idea, but Microsoft already has you beat on this. If your PC doesn't call home every (30 or 90 days can't remember which) it will cease to work! I have had that happen with Office.

I have several PC's running Win7/Office2010Pro that have been working offline for over 2 years and never had issues because Windows and Office could not be validated by MS. Maybe it has to do with the various processes and features I disabled in Computer Management. I'm sure that does not hold true anymore when using Windows 8, 10 and any Office Pro "Plus" C2R versions.

As to selling our personnal information, any one with ability to exploit it has been doing so behind our backs. It wouldn't even surprise me that companies like Microsoft, Google, etc. have been selling it to governments. When you are using proprietary blackbox software and have no ability to see what the source code is doing, like you can with open source software, one has no idea what's going on.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Apr 5 2020, 07:01 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.
Go to the top of the page

brittanymarshel
post Apr 6 2020, 09:28 AM
Post#22

So many people think having an AV or any third party antivirus will make their computer impenetrable. Good surfing habits are the easiest way to avoid malicious software and scams on the internet and there's no free antivirus or tool which does not track or sell your privacy(as mentioned above). So, the better option is to go with a paid one or Windows Defender(free option).

DougY
post Apr 6 2020, 10:17 AM
Post#23

Utterly Abby-Normal

I am locking this thread. As Daniel said, there is no point in reviving an old post about PC security and so many things have changed in the security landscape since 2013.

Anyone wants to discuss modern AV is welcome to open a new thread with updated information.
Note, that any links will be scrutinize and any site driving or spam will be handled.

Doug
UA Admin

--------------------
- Doug

When I said the program was fool proof, I hadn’t realized there were so many fools.

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    6th July 2020 - 12:02 AM