UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serious... Not Serious... Serious...    

nuclear_nick
post Nov 26 2019, 08:35 AM
Post#1

I wanted to put this rant here... not attached to any particular thread or post... just an informational rant about me.

If I had to pick one pet peeve about work... it's this - I have a really hard time taking direction from someone with a higher rank/title/pay grade, whatever you want to call it - when, if I were to leave, get sick, hit by a car, they could not step in for me and get the job done. Not because they won't... but because they can't. They got the promotion because they had years in somewhere else, doing something else, and a piece of paper that says they went to school, even if it wasn't in the area of expertise called for.

It's gotten me into trouble a few times.

"I told you to do it this way."

"But that way is stupid. It's going to lead to difficulties down the road."

"I don't care."

And so I'm the one in trouble.

I've seen lots of examples where people in this situation are advised to 'get work elsewhere'... but I know this is all temporary. In a few years, we'll have someone else, and maybe they'll have better knowledge about what I'm doing. Maybe I'll win the lottery and won't care. For now, it's hard after... well, let's say more than 20... years at the same company for me to up and leave over something that, "if I just hold on a little longer..."

I've been thinking of getting a punching bag. A room full of breakables I can smash. Something to help me hold on a little longer.

That's my rant, my peeve, my diatribe, my two cents... now I go back to standing on my head.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Nov 26 2019, 08:42 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Moderator

Hang in there, Nick ...

Remember just to consider it the next challenge in life which you will overcome.

Yes, a little more effort, but once you have created the application that appears to the higher-up as they want it, but behind the scenes does things properly as you want it, you can brim with internal satisfaction.

Life would be boring if it were always easy!

cheers.gif

d

--------------------

Regards,

David Marten

projecttoday
post Nov 26 2019, 08:55 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

The fact that your supervisor can't do your job should tell you something. Something about who gets paid what and why. Also, who has job security. You may have been mislead.

If you've been with the same company for 20 years, you should leave, irregardless of any issues there.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2019, 09:04 AM
Post#4

LOL, who ever said life was fair? shrug.gif I just roll with the punches and keep moving on. Life is a compromise

Cheers cheers.gif

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

nuclear_nick
post Nov 26 2019, 09:08 AM
Post#5

Life would be boring if it were always easy!

Amen!

My wife and I had a common saying, since we got married... "Never a dull moment."

After all, who knows that the future may bring?

Thanks for reading and commenting, so far... I didn't think I was going to get anything.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

DanielPineault
post Nov 26 2019, 09:12 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Everyone experiences these situations, especially in the larger organizations. People get promoted up the chain of command for various reasons, and not always technical reasons. In reality, you rarely get promoted up the chain for technical reasons, they keep the technically adept people in their position because they get the job done!

Do as your told, they are the boss after all, but be sure to keep copies of the various requests so you aren't the one left holding the bag at the end of the day if things don't work.

If you've been with the same company for 20 years, you should leave, irregardless of any issues there.

No. There are some good companies that you don't need to jump ship from.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

LeeAnn
post Nov 26 2019, 09:19 AM
Post#7

I have worked many jobs at many different locations that ranged from 3 months to my current location of 15+ years). Only one job I had I hated because I did all the work (It was at an ISP if we all remember what those were)and it took me about 6 months of that garbage before I left and worked as a contractor for US Steel (was a fun job but only lasted a few months). The best job I had was at another ISP in New Orleans, real great company and a lot of great people. I now were in the defense industry and it was a place I said I would never work for but here I am. The company has really treated me well over the years,

Maybe you can try to provide insights to your boss and try to show him better ways of doing things. He may not go for it but at least you can say you tried.

--------------------
Lee Ann Davidson

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2019, 09:19 AM
Post#8

Do as your told, they are the boss after all, but be sure to keep copies of the various requests so you aren't the one left holding the bag at the end of the day if things don't work.

Famous last words... "If anything goes wrong we will hang it around the tech's neck and tie it off" ohyeah.gif

Does this sound familiar?... Have you ever filled out a paper form that you felt was poorly designed, and felt that the form is an insult to your intelligence?... The people that work with those forms and process them recognize the form has defects but nevertheless become complacent with the form and then the boss decides he wants that data stored on a computer using the same defective design for data entry screen because the workers are already familiar with the paper form.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Nov 26 2019, 09:37 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

kfield7
post Nov 26 2019, 09:38 AM
Post#9

When discouraged about the relative qualifications of your boss and yourself, just remember -- the President of the United States has exactly two qualifications per our constitution:
1. Natural U.S. citizen
2. 35 years of age.

It's not the qualifications that get the job, it's a succession of events, doors opening and walking through them. Sometimes you have to find the door, sometimes you have to open it with a crowbar. But don't disparage the other guy because he/she found the door and walked through it.

tina t
post Nov 26 2019, 03:18 PM
Post#10

leaving or not leaving - neither decision is good or bad, Nick, just different choices. and you can't know the outcome of your choices ahead of time; of course, that part kinda [censored], but nothing to be done about it.

i worked for a company for 17 years, and lost my job at the end of 2001. i got two unofficial offers to transfer to different offices, but both were in the snow belt. and after moving to SoCal in the mid-eighties, i swore i'd never live in snow again. so i took the severance, and was unemployed for several years before finding another permanent position. and some people said i was crazy to not have taken advantage of either offer i got at my original job. but i remember telling my boss, in 2001, that if he promised me a million dollars a year to go to the office he offered, i wouldn't take it - because if i died at the end of that year, i'd have spent the last year of my life unhappy, living where i didn't want to be.

you're the only one who knows what either decision costs you, in terms of money, and in terms of happiness. the best you can do is, choose the option that you can be at peace with. and good luck, hon. :) tina
This post has been edited by tina t: Nov 26 2019, 03:20 PM

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

nuclear_nick
post Nov 26 2019, 06:25 PM
Post#11

Pardon my ignorance... where's the snow belt? I'm in Ohio... is that part of it?

I love the winter even though I haven't had happen yet what I want to have happen... snowed in with a fireplace and my books. (Or my Kindle and an electric supply... smile.gif )

On a happy note... I appreciate you all. I love this place. I lurked for years, learning, asking questions, until I found myself wanting to help others as well, giving back when I can. UA is my first bookmark, the first place I come to, first place I scan over messages, even before my email. Everyone has been super. It sounds mushy, but... it's true. I hope to be around for a long time, I hope this place is around with me.

Thanks again, everyone.

And now for my favorite emoticon here...
uarulez2.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

FrankRuperto
post Nov 26 2019, 07:14 PM
Post#12

Great Lakes area, Cleveland to Buffalo NY is part of the snow belt. I lived in Livonia MI, a Detroit suburb, so I got a good taste of the lake blizzards. I agree with you about UA, there's a lot of goodwill helpers and valuable information here. If you havent already noticed, I am really not an experienced Access developer. I started developing db apps in the mid 1980's with Informix-4GL on Altos Xenix, then pretty much stayed in the Unix world until recently when I decided to migrate my pawnshop app to Access. I have been learning from an Access veteran developer plus UA, StackOverflow and other online references. So I appreciate all the help and patience shown here.

uarulez2.gif

--------------------

tina t
post Nov 26 2019, 08:30 PM
Post#13

where's the snow belt?

well, my own personal definition of the snow belt is anywhere it normally snows and accumulates every year, without the benefit of extra elevation over the surrounding area (like mountains, high desert, etc). there's probably an "official" definition...

I love the winter

me too. :) at least, i love a SoCal winter, when temps are mild (natives call it "cold", lol) and there's always hope of rain and therefore green hills and snow in the mountains. i even like snow - at a distance. one of my favorite things is to run errands on a mild sunny Saturday morning, looking up at the snow on the mountains while smelling the fragrance of orange blossoms on the breeze. tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

projecttoday
post Nov 26 2019, 09:56 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Snow belt? Well, I suppose that's a bit more flattering than the more common "rust belt".

--------------------
Robert Crouser

LeeAnn
post Nov 27 2019, 09:27 AM
Post#15

How about Hurricane Alley??? I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and went through Katrina. It was a horrible storm, never want to go through that again. Most of my family lives here with an exception of a brother who lives in Tennessee. My mother went to go visit him for a bit after the storm and decided to move up there. She recently passed away being in an area I think she loved. My dad moved up there shortly after my mom moved up there but I don't think he was ever really happy as he had a lot of friends here on the coast. He recently moved back to the coast. I am content living on the coast as we have the southern hospitality, great food and I have many friends here as well. I like my job and the coworkers I think mostly as family.

Happiness I believe is what matters. Being in a job that you don't like can cause much stress and I think we have all been there. I once stated I would never work in the position I am in but here I am and I am happy with it. Funny how life works out.

--------------------
Lee Ann Davidson

FrankRuperto
post Nov 27 2019, 02:15 PM
Post#16

My idea of a great place to work at is:

Overall fairness, including fair pay and benefits.
Ability to have down to earth conversations with your boss.

--------------------

Jeff B.
post Nov 27 2019, 04:18 PM
Post#17

UtterAccess VIP

JOPO - just one person's opinion …

The best boss I ever had told me he didn't need to be smarter than his employees, he just needed to hire smart folks.

… kinda in keeping with the idea of "boss says what, I get to decide how"

Good luck!

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2019 - 07:51 AM