UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using Quote Characters In The Where Condition Of Dlookup, Access 2010    

JohnvanSomeren
post Sep 5 2019, 10:16 AM
Post#1

After a three year break I must modify my Access program. I'm well into my dotage and cannot work out how to convert a Dloopkup command's Where condition parameter when the data type has changed from Long to String.
I need the correct VBA code and I would love a link to any instruction on the way to use quote characters in DLookup and other strings I build like filters.

Here is the original statement
CODE
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmManageContacts", acNormal, , "ContactID=" & paramContactID, _
                    acEdit, acWindowNormal, Nz(paramContactID, 0)

The parameter paramContactID is now a String and I am having difficulty with coding the actual WHERE condition parameter. I know I need to add lots of quote characters, but I cannot visualise what the string ought to look like when it is passed to the function.

I can convert the OpenArgs parameter myself (I hope!)

Thanks.
John van Someren

Go to the top of the page

arnelgp
post Sep 5 2019, 10:21 AM
Post#2

CODE
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmManageContacts", acNormal, , "ContactID=" & Chr(34) & paramContactID & Chr(34), _
                    acEdit, acWindowNormal, Nz(paramContactID, "")

--------------------
Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

theDBguy
post Sep 5 2019, 10:47 AM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi John. Arnel’s code should work. Would the String value ever contain any apostrophe or double quote characters?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

JohnvanSomeren
post Sep 5 2019, 10:54 AM
Post#4

Hi DBGuy,
Good thought, but the strings are formed from a short alpha prefix to the previous integer.

Glad to see that you are still patrolling the corridors of this web site. I remember only good responses from you when I was an Access neophyte six or seven years ago.

Thanks
John

theDBguy
post Sep 5 2019, 11:35 AM
Post#5

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi John. Thanks for your comments. We’re still here and happy to assist. Good luck with your project.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

BruceM
post Sep 6 2019, 07:09 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

"ContactID=" & Chr(34) & paramContactID & Chr(34)

I think that code will leave off the closing quote, but I'm not sure. It needs to be this:

"ContactID=""" & paramContactID & """""

or (spaces between quotes added for clarity, but should be removed in practice):

"ContactID=' " & paramContactID & " ' "

I'm sure there is a way using Chr(34), but I'm not exactly sure what it is. My solution to quotes within quotes has been, for some years now, to use this wrapper function QuoteFix, posted in the UA function library. With the function in place:

"ContactID = " & QuoteFix(paramContactID)

Finally, I will point out that paramContactID, assuming it is a string or variant variable, could be assembled with leading and trailing quotes.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th October 2019 - 12:31 PM