UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Runtime Suggestions, Access 2013    

Alexander
post May 23 2019, 03:14 PM
Post#1

Still going strong with Access and not had any recent issues (thanks to the advice and help on UA) but now looking for some pointers using Access Runtime 2013.

I have a number of users with new Windows 10 laptops which come with the trial version of Office 365 but they do not want to purchase the full version.

They want to use my Access application so I have been directing them to download the 32 bit version of Access Runtime 2013.

Is it best to get clients to download and install the 32 bit Runtime then for me to supply the application or is there a better way?

I am unsure on what security measures to take regarding Macro warning etc and would welcome some pointers and links to help me understand and make this as seamless as possible.

Thanks

--------------------
Alexander
Keep using the sunscreen!
Go to the top of the page

Bullschmidt
post May 28 2019, 07:01 PM
Post#2

It SEEMS easy enough in theory to let users download it themselves, but when I fiddled around with an Access runtime many years ago I found that I needed to do it all myself as you never know ahead of time what kind of little problems you'll run into. So I just got everything working (and sometimes that was harder than expected) so that all the user had to do was use it...

Alexander
post May 29 2019, 04:21 AM
Post#3

Many thanks for the reply and I understand what you are saying but I do not know how to combine both the runtime and the application and then supply to my client.

I get them to download Access Runtime 2013 and once installed I supply the .accde file. I know setting trusted locations is a problem with the Runtime.

I think the best bet is to find a full and legal version of an older Microsoft Office eg 2010 Professional Plus that contains Access. I will search around for Microsoft Office re-seller and should get it for a low price and this will solve the issues.

Surprised UA do not offer this service?

Thanks again.

--------------------
Alexander

Phil_cattivocara...
post May 29 2019, 04:59 AM
Post#4

I would give a try to NSIS https://nsis.sourceforge.io/Main_Page
I do not know if in UA archive there is something about it. I can give a link to little Italian "project" (a bit old but... the author deserve a try) http://mirror.masterdrive.it/alessandrobar...FIdFAQ=293.html

--------------------
Please forgive in advance my horrible English.

Alexander
post May 29 2019, 05:03 AM
Post#5

My Italian is zero so your English is perfect in comparison and thanks for the links which I will investigate.

I am always surprised by the lack of clarity from Microsoft Office regarding Access and Runtime.

Thanks again.

--------------------
Alexander

Phil_cattivocara...
post May 29 2019, 05:27 AM
Post#6

That project contains only a NSI file, I think it is a configuration file (I never used it) and it is principally written in English (and some italian comments are very simple to understand).
There is also a "reserved section" in that file for Runtime (2003 but you can take it as example) and for registry settings.
You do not need to translate that page, if you want to download the file, click on zip icon and give the name you want, adding .zip as extension. In my opinion, if you search on web you will find more recent and English example.

--------------------

Minty
post May 29 2019, 06:07 AM
Post#7

Simply download the runtime, and install it on their machines. It's free.

You may need to associate .accde files with the run time as a default opening program.
Access pro as a full purchase is expensive and unnecessary.
In fact you really don't want end users with a full version of Access, it means they can't get to the design views and overcome your hiding of navigation windows etc.

You can set trusted locations in other Office programs.
Or you can do it in code with a bit of fiddling.
This post has been edited by Minty: May 29 2019, 06:09 AM

Phil_cattivocara...
post May 29 2019, 06:48 AM
Post#8

QUOTE (Minty)
Simply download the runtime, and install it on their machines. It's free.
Or you can do it in code with a bit of fiddling.
Yes, it is easy if you have 1 o 2 machines-PC to setup. But when you start to have 5, 10 or any number of PC... I prefer to automate as much as possibile.

--------------------

Minty
post May 29 2019, 06:59 AM
Post#9

If you have a AD domain setup, then this could be achieved through a GPO without any need for user intervention.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd September 2019 - 02:11 AM