UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Seeing Parentheses That Aren't There, Access 2016    

wbhburn
post Oct 17 2019, 04:42 PM
Post#1

I've never tried to make a query from other queries before but I'm doing this because I don't want to have to remake expressions that do some calcs for me. All the tables and queries appear linked properly but I can not get rid of a syntax error message.

See message and query grid in attachement please...

It keeps telling me there are additional parens when there are not. I've gone through it many times.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  QueryCapture.JPG ( 89.99K )Number of downloads: 7

Go to the top of the page

June7
post Oct 17 2019, 04:55 PM
Post#2

Should post attempted query SQL statement, not just image.

For some reason it is seeing extra [ (bracket, not parentheses) character and I cannot see why.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

This post has been edited by June7: Oct 17 2019, 04:59 PM

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

wbhburn
post Oct 17 2019, 05:51 PM
Post#3

Sorry, I should have thought of that. However, when I try to switch to SQL view I get the same message.

There are other tables/qrys in the qry that have the same field names as I want to use. What is the syntax in a query expression when one wants to identify a table or query with the field? I tried qry4Glass![GL_High]*qry4Glass![GL_Wide]. I also tried it with dot's between but it didn't like that either.

June7
post Oct 17 2019, 06:16 PM
Post#4

This should work:

qry4Glass.GL_High * qry4Glass.GL_Wide

--------------------
Attachments Manager is below the edit post window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.
DEBUG! DEBUG! DEBUG! http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/DebuggingVBA.aspx

wbhburn
post Oct 17 2019, 06:29 PM
Post#5

Oh if you have the dots you don't need brackets. Thanks

RJD
post Oct 18 2019, 01:53 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: Make sure that GlassSF is not a field used in any of the tables/query sources in the query, and remove qry4Glass from the Table row for that field in the query.

HTH
Joe

--------------------
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems."
"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

Rene Descartes 1596-1650 (Mathematician and Philosopher)

jleach
post Oct 18 2019, 05:36 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess Administrator

Sometimes this happens if you sort on a field when building a query, then end up renaming or removing the field (but the sort order stays as a property in the query - it's quite annoying).

Try opening the query in design mode, click ok through the error(s), then open the property window of the query and check through all the properties for a similar expression that may still be existing even though the field/parameter itself is no longer there.

hth

Edit: I re-read the dialog and think it's not the one I had in mind, so my post above probably isn't the case...

--------------------
Jack D. Leach
Founder & CEO
Dymeng Services Inc.
Business Software Solutions

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2019 - 05:07 PM