UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dvd Link Changes Depending On The Pc Used, Access 2016    

Jlehmus
post Feb 27 2020, 03:08 PM
Post#1

Hello,

This is similar from last year, but I think I'm getting closer, so here goes.

I was able to create a “password protected” DVD (Using McAfee burning software) from a MS Access 2016 database PDF report using a Windows 10 laptop. The PDF report is stored in the root directory of the DVD and there are multiple DVD sub-folders that contain the needed files. I did not hard-code the DVD Drive Letter.

The DVD was created on a work laptop and works great. The dummy data was copied from my H: Drive. The DVD was successfully tested on a second work laptop in the office. When floating the mouse pointer over the report’s test hyperlink it showed: file://D|/CP/DCS1-CP-02-01.pdf The D| is the local DVD drive letter for all the office laptops. Both PCs were successful and the DVD worked as expected.

However, when testing (outside of the office) on non-office PC’s, the report hyperlinks try to point back to my office H: Drive, instead of looking at the DVD's folders, so (obviously) the hyperlinks will not work. I tried the DVD on a Windows 8.1 desktop and Windows 10 laptop. Eventually, I will need to test the DVD on multiple PCs where the DVD drive letter is different on each PC, to ensure the DVD will work for all users.

Here is the DVD hyperlink code: Me![PDF Link].HyperlinkAddress = ".\" & Me![SubSystem] & "/" & Me![HyperLink] & "." & Me![Ext]

I thank you all in advance.

Cordially,
John
New Hampshire, USA
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Feb 27 2020, 03:19 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi John. I've seen some code before, using WMI to go through a computer's drive letters. Don't have a link right now but maybe you could search for it.

Sent from phone...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Jlehmus
post Feb 27 2020, 03:45 PM
Post#3

I will give it a try.... after I google "what is WMI when using DVDs" iconfused.gif

theDBguy
post Feb 27 2020, 04:53 PM
Post#4

UA Moderator

Hi. You could start out with this one. Hope it helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    4th April 2020 - 07:10 AM