UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Updating Combobox Selected Items Not Working, Access 2016    

projecttoday
post May 28 2020, 05:11 PM
Post#21

UtterAccess VIP

Go back to the beginning. What is this form for? What is it supposed to do?

--------------------
Robert Crouser
Go to the top of the page

B99
post May 28 2020, 06:59 PM
Post#22

I'm sorry; I tried to explain it in the last post but apparently not what you were looking for. At the highest level, the form is a search results form that allows the user to browse records, select the ones they want to copy and then click a button to copy certain attributes of those records to another form. I apologize if I'm missing the point of what you are looking for.

While I would absolutely appreciate any advice on cleaning up the code, I certainly don't want to waste your time if I'm still not understanding the question. You (and several others) have helped me a great deal as it is. cheers.gif

projecttoday
post May 28 2020, 09:19 PM
Post#23

UtterAccess VIP

No need to worry about wasting my time. Okay, I think we're getting somewhere. You say you're searching data and then when you find them you copy them. What data? (Sales, lab tests, what?) Why is it necessary to copy them?

--------------------
Robert Crouser

B99
post May 28 2020, 11:11 PM
Post#24

It is basically chunks of data (text) that are used to build reports. Each report is tailored for the specific requirements/client and they are often similar but they are time consuming to create. So the idea is that the user will search the database for sections of past reports using various tags and other criteria. The popup form presents the past data that matches the search criteria and the user can select which ones they want to copy back to the main form. Then the user will edit the copied / combined data for a section of a new report.

The copying is only to save time from researching past reports and then the time to enter the data.

projecttoday
post May 29 2020, 12:44 AM
Post#25

UtterAccess VIP

This is a sophisticated text-processing app. I did a text-oriented app years ago but it was more of a dictionary kind of thing. So I looked at your latest version and while I don't understand everything that's going on I saw that blink on that combobox. The best way, I believe, to get rid of that would be to take the combobox out of the equation as much as possible. Same with anything else on the form. Manipulating data isn't about forms, it's about tables. You can read, write, and change data in tables with code. So that's where you should do that. A combobox may be necessary so the user can make a selection, of course. You've got a popup which does that. So that's what I would do. Create or modify the data with code, then requery the combobox if you have to have a combobox. Use a temporary table if necessary. The less you rely on controls on forms, the better.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

B99
post May 29 2020, 08:14 AM
Post#26

Ah, OK. I never thought about it like that and I guess I was actually leaning the other way to manipulate the data in the form and code while limiting hits to the DB.

Whenever I hit a wall with this, there's usually a combobox involved, but the user requires it. I've seen some very creative workarounds to 'fake' a combobox but nothing yet that has been acceptable. Hopefully Microsoft will one day open up comboboxes and allow multi-select with user-defined junction tables and not force it behind the scenes.

Thanks again for all of your help!

-Brian

projecttoday
post May 29 2020, 11:25 AM
Post#27

UtterAccess VIP

You're welcome.

--------------------
Robert Crouser

2 Pages V < 1 2