UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Asking To Choose Profile, Access 2016    

JAchord
post Mar 24 2020, 04:18 PM
Post#1

I have recently had an issue with asking to choose profile when I try to edit controls on forms. It is a pop-up and says choose a profile with only outlook as an option. I was recently switched from 2016 to 365. is that the issue or did I change a setting somewhere that I didn't mean too?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Mar 24 2020, 05:47 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hmm, 365 is a subscription service, so I am thinking that must have something to do with it. Not sure if there's an option to work offline. Otherwise, make sure you're signed in before opening Access. Just a guess...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

DanielPineault
post Mar 24 2020, 05:50 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Never heard or seen of anything like that, but you could always try performing an Office Repair and see if that helps at all.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2019 Microsoft MVP, UA VIP, EE Distinguished Expert 2018)
Professional Help: https://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: https://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 24 2020, 06:19 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

I agree that this is probably related to the Office 365 subscription which is tied to an on-line account. It's going to verify that the subscription is still valid and hasn't lapsed.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

FrankRuperto
post Mar 24 2020, 08:25 PM
Post#5

It sounds like you dont have outlook setup yet and the outlook addin for access is enabled. If you goto access options, click on addins, you can disable the outlook addin and the messaage will go away. Either do that, or go to control panel, search for mail, and setup a profile.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 24 2020, 08:27 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

JAchord
post Mar 25 2020, 09:22 AM
Post#6

I have attached a screenshot for your viewing pleasure.

I have clicked on set as default profile it will not stay. Clicking on properties takes me to the outlook account properties screen. This only pops up in design view and will not let me close or go to form view until I choose a profile. Unfortunately, the stupid thing pops up and immediately hides behind the access instance I am working on.

I will try deleting the outlook library in VBA to see if that helps and office repair if I have the permissions to do so.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ProfileBox.png ( 6.6K )Number of downloads: 1

FrankRuperto
post Mar 25 2020, 10:49 AM
Post#7

Have you tried creating a new profile and making it the default profile? It sounds like your workstation might be managed by an admin, e.g. IT folks, and you might not be able to change certain settings. A quick look in your O365 "About" will tell you if its being managed by an admin. If you are able to disable the Outlook addin in Access options, then that might do the trick.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Mar 25 2020, 11:16 AM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix, Oracle & PostgreSQL db's.

JAchord
post Mar 25 2020, 11:41 AM
Post#8

It is managed by IT which I am not. I deleted the outlook library from my references. Do not have any add-ins installed. Have to get IT approval to install add-ins. I can use VBA with no issues and could probably do quite a bit of damage if I wanted to. Install add-ins or free SQL express no way. I could probably get permission for some add-ins but then I would have to get it for each user.

Anyways thanks for the help everyone.

FrankRuperto
post Mar 25 2020, 11:54 AM
Post#9

I don't think you and users need any outlook addins for Access. If disabling/deleting addin doesn't remove the popup, try creating a new profile and making it the default. I doubt you can do any damage with vba automation, other than to your own workstation. If your IT is worth their grain in salt, the server and the other workstations on the LAN are protected from things like that. Ask your IT if they already have SQL-Server, or another db server installed. Maybe they can provide you and your users a separate instance for your BOM data and then you can link the Access FE's to it.

--------------------

JAchord
post Mar 27 2020, 09:15 AM
Post#10

Deleting the reference library seems to have fixed it. The library was for outlook 2016 now on 365. I guess there is enough difference to cause the issue.

FrankRuperto
post Mar 27 2020, 09:46 AM
Post#11

Glad to hear you discovered the cause. Microsoft used to sell standalone Outlook, but now they want everyone to subscribe to or purchase the entire Office suite if you just want Outlook. I don't know how long purchasing standalone Access or the entire Office suite will last. MS' roadmap appears to be heading to only offering the subscription-based 64-bit Office suite, period. They want to lower costs by supporting just one Office version that only runs on Windows 10, and make a higher recurring income with the subscriptions.

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th May 2020 - 04:45 PM