UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Office 365 - Access Runtime Released, Access 2016    

adaytay
post Jan 14 2019, 06:20 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

I've not seen any mention of this anywhere on the web, but Microsoft have released a new version of Access Runtime, which is specifically for machines running Office 365.

Link and information here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/do...76-91cbe3ea09c9

--------------------
Cheers,

Adam.
Go to the top of the page

isladogs
post Jan 14 2019, 06:36 AM
Post#2

Thanks for the link.
It will be interesting to see whether MS update this regularly in line with changes in Access 365.

I also noticed from the link that for the latest versions of Office 365 and 2019, 64-bit is now the default.
This is inevitably going to mean far more users on 64-bit even if it's done inadvertently.
Therefore it means all of us need to be distributing apps which are both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 14 2019, 08:46 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Thanks for bringing this out. We were remiss in not publishing a notice regarding the release. I'll remedy that.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

adaytay
post Jan 14 2019, 08:56 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Thank you George - I don't know quite when it was released, I happened across it by accident when troubleshooting an unrelated issue a couple of weeks ago.

--------------------
Cheers,

Adam.

adaytay
post Jan 14 2019, 09:04 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

@Isladogs,

Yes, I agree it will be interesting to see if this supports some of the newer features that trickle out to O365. I would hope it does auto-update. I just hope it doesn't go the way of SSMS and go with monthly updates that require new builds manually installed regularly.

Incidentally, this fixes any reference issues you may experience with two different versions of full Office on your computer. For example, we have Office 2010 Standard on our domain, and then we have PCs with Access Runtime 2016. We discovered that certain functions stopped working (eg Mail Merge using Excel spreadsheet as the source) if both versions were present. I was able to install O365 Runtime and it fixed the issue we were seeing.

I agree too - 64-bit is definitely becoming more prevalent. I try to ensure anything I do is 32-64 bit, but it's definitely going to become a standard requirement.

--------------------
Cheers,

Adam.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 14 2019, 11:33 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

I am not really sure when it was released either. I know I deployed it for one client in December, 2018 as a trial, but it wasn't around too long before that, I think. We ended up not using it yet.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Jan 14 2019, 11:39 AM

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

BruceM
post Jan 18 2019, 10:40 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

I'm curious about this. Except for web-only versions of Office 365, Access runtime (desktop app is the term they seem to use now) is part of the subscription. Is the Office 365 Access runtime intended for use with other versions of Office? The documentation is not entirely clear.

It has been my experience that, except for some compatibility issues that arose from the 64-bit installation of Office 365 (and which were resolved), no additional action is needed to run Access applications.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 18 2019, 10:44 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

Good question, Bruce.

I can only offer my personal experience, which is that I downloaded and installed this version of the runtime and was able to use it with existing accdbs. However, I also think the only way to be sure is to try.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd February 2019 - 04:10 AM