UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autonumber Ids Disappearing, Access 2016    

boriss
post Dec 4 2019, 07:59 AM
Post#1

We have been using 2016 for several months -
Have an new interesting problem:
Primary Key AutoNumber IDs are disappearing. They never had any data in them, just blanks.
I know you can not get them back. I personally do not have this problem as I am the administrator.
It occurs when someone else searches a form, we never had this problem before .... Trying to see what this person is doing - no luck yet.
Is there a way to prevent this ?????

Thanks !!!!!!

--------------------
Howie :>)
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Dec 4 2019, 08:11 AM
Post#2

Maybe users begin adding a record in the form and abort the operation. Autonumbers are reserved the moment a user begins adding a new record. Would need more information about the form.

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2019, 08:11 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

It sounds like your search form is somehow creating a new record when someone conducts a search.

HOW does the search work?

There are at least a couple of ways to make this happen. If you use a combo box to select a record and use the after update event of that combo box to filter the form's recordsource to that record, that combo box must NOT be bound to a field in the form's recordsource. If it is, that can cause this problem.

Another way to cause it is to use a default value in a field that causes the form to create and SAVE a new record whenever you simply move the form to a "new record" using one of the built in ways to do that.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

boriss
post Dec 4 2019, 08:22 AM
Post#4

I have seen them do this .... it creates the ID with a blank record shell. The ID doesnt disappear........

--------------------

boriss
post Dec 4 2019, 08:28 AM
Post#5

What I just found out was the field she was searching. In that field there are only Mouse Down / Mouse Up instruction.... nothing to do with updates. Just something to show them Table/Control names so they know what to use in creating their queries

Private Sub WaterBodyName_MouseDown(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)

Dim varReturn As Variant

varReturn = SysCmd(acSysCmdSetStatus, "ReportTable [WaterBodyName]")

End Sub

This is the field she was searching by the way. Could this simple command trigger a new record then delete it ????

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2019, 08:42 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

It is highly unlikely that it would be deleting records, but we can't actually see the form in action.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

boriss
post Dec 4 2019, 08:50 AM
Post#7

Thanks for the input .... I am meeting with the girl this morning to see if I can zero in
Will post back if I find resolve

Thanks for the help - so far !!!!

--------------------

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2019 - 08:54 AM