UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accessing Sharepoint Site In Windows Explorer, Access 2010    

kswaringen
post Dec 4 2019, 03:13 PM
Post#1

I have two databases (built with a great deal of help from folks on this site) housed on a terminal server. I routinely run daily and weekly reports from both--I have coding that exports a query to Excel, formats the Excel file, and then uploads the file to a SharePoint site (deleting or archiving an earlier file, depending on the report).

This has worked beautifully for the past several years. However, last month I updated my network password, and now I have to use two-factor authentication in order to access SharePoint on the server (per our IT department, this will not be remedied). My databases started throwing 'bad file name or number' errors when attempting to upload the Excel files to SharePoint.

I tried to update my coding by having it launch a visible instance of Internet Explorer (set to the SharePoint site) as well as a message box that prompts me to confirm that the site has loaded. The latter allows me a pause to sign in / send a push notification to my phone before proceeding. This works, but I'm still getting a 'bad file name or number' error at the upload stage.

I started investigating and realized that when I run

CODE
Dim strSite
strSite = "\\companyname.sharepoint.com\sites\destination folder\"

Shell "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe """ & strSite & "", vbNormalFocus

Explorer no longer opens the SharePoint site; now it opens the system's default Documents folder instead. I can still open the SharePoint folder in Explorer but only if I manually click the 'Open with Explorer' option from the SharePoint ribbon in the IE browser window launched previously.

Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds? I feel like my credentials/access should be retained when I have an valid instance of SharePoint open, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks,
Kristen

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Dec 4 2019, 03:18 PM
Post#2

UA Moderator

Hi Kristen. I have no idea about your specific issue; but if you can access your SharePoint Library using Windows Explorer, have you tried storing your Access front end database on it and then run it from there? The idea being, you will have to log in before you can run the db. I am hoping that would be a possible workaround.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

kswaringen
post Dec 4 2019, 04:30 PM
Post#3

Thank you. That's a thought, but I don't know much about putting the front-end on SharePoint (with the back-end elsewhere), and I worry a bit about the front-end/back-end connectivity.

In the interim, however, I think I may have found a solution. Completely separate from the two-factor authentication issue, it looks like Microsoft is gradually moving away from Web Dav and towards the Sync tool with the OneDrive and SharePoint. I navigated to the two SharePoint sites in question and chose the 'Sync' option to sync the sites to my OneDrive. I then used the FileCopy function and set my destination folder as the appropriate OneDrive synced folder (formatted on the server as "\\tsclient\C\Users\...").

This appears to be working (so far), and it keeps me from having to do any sort of authentication or manual process. Fingers crossed that this continues to work...

Thanks again,
Kristen

theDBguy
post Dec 4 2019, 04:37 PM
Post#4

UA Moderator

Hi Kristen. Nice work. Good luck with it.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2019 - 08:57 AM