UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Error On Compact And Repair, Access 2016    

whatacutup
post Jan 15 2020, 05:31 PM
Post#1

Hi everyone!

Lately, when I do a Compact and Repair, not always, but more often than not, I get an error:

Microsoft Access can't delete {the filename} after compacting it. The compacted database has been named {.../Database.mdb}.

Interestingly, it does, in fact, delete the original file. This happens if I am compacting from within Access or if I compact from the command line. It also happens if I select Compact on Close.

It did not always do this. Anyone know what has changed and how to correct this issue?

Thanks,
-Steph
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Jan 15 2020, 05:36 PM
Post#2

The compacted database has been named {.../Database.mdb}.

Does Access 2016 Compact/Repair convert an accdb to an mdb if it can't repair the accdb?
I heard saving an accdb database as a 2003 mdb can fix a badly corrupted db.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jan 15 2020, 05:41 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

whatacutup
post Jan 15 2020, 05:38 PM
Post#3

I don't think so. I think this is left over from the old days. I renamed it to accdb and it still opened and had all the same functionality.

By the way, this is for Access for Office 365.

FrankRuperto
post Jan 15 2020, 05:43 PM
Post#4

Sorry, I edited my previous post, then saw your answer. I wasn't aware O365 Access 2016 Pro Plus could open or convert to/from an mdb, I thought that ability was removed in newer Access versions.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jan 15 2020, 06:07 PM

--------------------
Currently supporting pawnbrokers that use my store management system developed with Access 2010 on Windows7. Experienced with Informix and Oracle DB's.

whatacutup
post Jan 15 2020, 05:53 PM
Post#5

I don't actually know if it is truly an .mdb file since I no longer have an old version of Access to test it. I know the recent versions of Access can open older file formats.

But the file extension is not the issue. The issue is that the C&R fails often.

FrankRuperto
post Jan 15 2020, 06:04 PM
Post#6

Understood, have you trying saving the problematic db to a new blank accdb? That usually helps a lot.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jan 15 2020, 06:04 PM

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 15 2020, 06:05 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

There was a change from Access 2000 to Access 2003, from JET 3.1 (IIRC) to JET 4.0 and it is true that newer versions of Access can't open that older version, so you're partly right.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

whatacutup
post Jan 15 2020, 10:52 PM
Post#8

I think I figured it out. The online backups run all day long and grab the file when it is updated to back it up. That's why it happens some of the time, but not all the time. I turned backups off and I could not get it to fail again. This will require some thought because I like the ongoing backups.

Thanks all,
-Steph

FrankRuperto
post Jan 16 2020, 12:22 AM
Post#9

I dont think automatically backing up a db while its open is a good idea. Our users always exit the app before backing up the backend data. Our backup script wont initiate the backup if it detects the access lockfile.
This post has been edited by FrankRuperto: Jan 16 2020, 12:23 AM

--------------------

BruceM
post Jan 16 2020, 08:53 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

Is the database split into front end and back end, with a single back end on the network and each user with their own copy of the front end? If everybody is working from a single database file (front end and back end in the same file), it cannot be compacted if somebody else is using it. I would avoid Compact on Close in any case.

To clarify the terminology a little, the back end is the tables, and the front end is everything else. I suppose you could have fixed queries in the back end (by which I mean queries that do not accept parameters for limiting the records returned, or which use the same parameters all the time), but I think it is best to use the back end for tables only.

Splitting the database is best practice at least. I regard it as essential. One advantage, among many, is that you can revise the user interface (add a report, for instance) without touching the data. When the change is done, distribute the revised front end to the users.

whatacutup
post Jan 16 2020, 09:03 AM
Post#11

The database is split. It is only running on my laptop now since it is still in development. The compact error occurs with multiple Access databases, not just the one I am currently working on.

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th January 2020 - 08:58 PM