UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Refresh Linked Table On Open Access Db, Access 2016    

VegetaOSX
post Mar 26 2020, 07:05 PM
Post#1

I have two tables linked from SQL Server and one Excel file from a folder. Every time I want to open the Access Database File, I would like to have the latest live data. Since it's linked, I understand every time I open, I should have it refreshed.

So my question is, do I need to Refresh link manually or I will always have the latest data refreshed? Can I put some VBA or Macro to do it? What are the possibilities?

Thank you in advance.
Go to the top of the page

Jeff B.
post Mar 26 2020, 07:08 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

JOPO (just one person's opinion)

I have several apps/dbs with linked SQL-Server tables and Excel SSs. I am under the impression that the link is "live", that is, you're looking at those objects. If you had imported copies of those objects, then I could see a need for refreshing (you copied yesterdays records...). But linked... I've not seen a problem with having "current" data.

--------------------
Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP (2002-2015)

Mention of hardware or software is, in no way, an endorsement thereof. The FTC of the USA made this disclaimer necessary/possible.

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 27 2020, 06:57 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

One of the very best learning techniques I ever used is "trial and error".

Since this should be something easily tested, it should be possible to answer the question fairly quickly.

Create the linked tables as described to SQL Server and Excel spreadsheets. Close the accdb. Add new data and/or change data in one or more of the SQL Server tables and one or more of the Excel spreadsheets. Open the accdb again. Can you see the updated and new data? If so, you're done. If not, you'll need to dig into methods for manually refreshing the links.

Please let us know the results of your testing.

Thanks.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I did business for 20 years.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    29th March 2020 - 03:01 AM